Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1821 - 1840 of 1860 Posts

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,097 Posts
Fancy. More on that 4 link though...............what's the deal? What's Rich suggesting you do?
Single triangulated is most common for us weekend warriors but not the best offroad. When we were in Sand Hollow I tried a deep V notch. My rear axle did not stay centered allowing one side to drop into the notch. In other places it did the same. This is called understeer. Add to that my shocks were low on oil so it appeared to push around even more.

Rich tells me the only solution is double triangulated.

I can move my frame mounts in about 2.75” on each side without much work. If I go full blown double triangulated it will require a new crossmember and other work. Currently I’m waiting for @JohnnyJ to stop by for some wisdom.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,097 Posts
So what prompted the change to the Mega High 9? The normal one lasted a long time. Are you adding some HP now? Good tech on the air shocks. :)
Although the True Hi-9 has done well it has had its issues. I’ve taken out 1 R&P and the support bearing which trashed everything. Plus a pinion shaft from a rev limiter bounce. Each repair has been north of $1500.

Talking with some pretty reliable people, the consensus is that it’s a great light eeight buggy center section or for a mild wheeling rig but not quite up to the task for a full bodied rig on stickies.

On the contrary the Mega is bigger in every way other than the carrier which stays the same. But the gears, pinion shaft, and pinion bearings are bigger and it has a dual load bolt. You don’t hear of many Mega failures.

I costed out doing a 14 bolt and they were about the same cost when considering Artec truss, link and shock brackets, pinion guard, shave kit and heavy duty dif cover. Then add in a new 1410 driveshaft and spare, this became pretty attractive.

Now I just need to sell my other brand new center section. Who’s building a buggy? :d:

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,097 Posts
Oh, and @JohnnyJ stopped by for some wisdom. We ran 3 different link calcs. Currently no decision made. I need to do more studying to understand the numbers. Everyone has an opinion.

·
589 Fabrication
3,548 Posts
What trips do you have planned for 2020?
Only out of state at the moment is Sand Hollow. Other places on my radar
Mounds
Canada
R&V
Holly Oaks

I'm sure there will be more.
Nice. Sand Hollow is on my list when the Roxor gets links and new tires.

Also want to try the notch at Holly when i don't have the kid in the back.

Let me know when you go to R&V and the Mounds. Those are quick easy trips.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,097 Posts
Nice. Sand Hollow is on my list when the Roxor gets links and new tires.

Also want to try the notch at Holly when i don't have the kid in the back.

Let me know when you go to R&V and the Mounds. Those are quick easy trips.
Mounds this Saturday morning

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,097 Posts
Not really any pics to post but front and rear are regeared, ARB in the back, new replacement Branik axle shaft in the front. Since I already had an air compressor but no surge tank or pressure switch, I picked up a 1/2 gallon surge tank made for air horns. Came with a guage and pressure switch for under $50.

Took it for a gear break in spin this morning. Wow is it a creeper in low range. I am concerned that I have lost my wheel speed for hill climbs. Hoping that 1st gear high range does the job. This may be a disappointment but I’m sure I will like it for rock crawling. If I don’t like it, I can always change t-case ratio.

Or go to taller tires. :naughty:

·
FAWK YEAH!!
22,634 Posts
IDK, 4ds and 5.38s is all Ive used, in the 2.72:1 always felt like a good ratio to me. the 3.8 not so much. Your tcase is 3.8 isn't it?

1821 - 1840 of 1860 Posts