Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 1860 Posts

·
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometime late last summer I was talking to Jim about modding his jeep and it snowballed and somehow I got in the middle of it. before I knew what was going on I agreed to build his jeep over again pretty much. The goal was lots of strength and a nice cushy ride while providing clearance for 40's in the future.

The entire build/arguing/problem solving thread is here: http://www.misfitoffroad.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8991&start=0

it will be completely finished and wheelable in the next couple weeks.
here are a few pictures of the build:

Attachments

·
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the people involved are:
my dad kb8ymf who helped a TON
whiterhino
79cj7-ryan (i think that's his screen name)
eman-eric
benny87-ben

all of these guys have helped out in one way or another, THANKS!

Attachments

·
GLFWDA member
2,674 Posts
looks good, also looks like you have an awesome barn. where in dryden are you? my buddy lives right across from the high school

42,945 Posts
I'm very interested to see the angles on the rear shocks..

Can you snap a photo of the rear tires on there, with the shock clearance?

Its looking great.

·
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you snap a photo of the rear tires on there, with the shock clearance?
maybe in a few days :tonka: we're still finishing the rear axle. the rear shock to everything clearance is TIGHT. 1/8" to the frame and I think a little less than that to the FAT iroks.

for reference, jims 37x14 iroks are 14.0 wide, my dads creepy crawlers are 13.0 and my trepadors are 12.5

·
i like jungle gym's.
10,920 Posts
looks great. are those 2.0 or 2.5 shocks?

·
Moonlight stomper
5,958 Posts
how many chages can you make , you should have just sold the old one when it had the old motor and started over...lol

Looks sweet

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,101 Posts
how many chages can you make , you should have just sold the old one when it had the old motor and started over...lol

Looks sweet
:stan::stan::stan: :sonicjay:

Actually that was talked about last summer. In fact, I tried to buy Brain Baileck's at the last minute but I missed it by 2 days. After that I figured that there was nothing out there for sale that would be what I wanted so I went ahead with installing the 6.0 and the axle configuration I wanted.

Yes, the only thing remaining from the original jeep is half the frame & the crummy body.

·
i like jungle gym's.
10,920 Posts
it is going to be sweet...your not running a sway bar at all right? think it will be stable enough without? the 2.5 was a good choice.i am looking at a set for mine soon. so keep me posted on the feel, if it feels tippy or not.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,101 Posts
No sway bar at this time but I suspect we may try to fit one in the rear. We're going to see how it feels. I can't believe it will be a whole lot worse than tires at 4psi with a SOA & no sway bars. But, I've been wrong before.

·
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ran mine with no sway bar for almost 3 years, it isn't needed but I can say there is a noticable difference in stability on sidehills and off camber climbs. so much that you'd probably push your luck too much because of how stable it feels.

dialed in air shocks with good suspension geometry feel similar to coils with a stock flimsy sway bar. dialed in air shocks with a sway bar feels like a race car compared to coils.

·
i like jungle gym's.
10,920 Posts
is it better to run a sway bar in the rear, rather then the front? why? seems like the front would be better?i took my stock one off, but want to put a antirock on.i like how you can adjust the curries.

1 - 20 of 1860 Posts