Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
missmrgreenagain
21,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone get a good deal on like ten gal of white paint to spray the new OSB in my barn?

·
GLFWDA VP
4,307 Posts
go to menards and buy barn paint. its only like $10 a gallon and works almost as good as kilz

·
missmrgreenagain
21,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
The Warped One
623 Posts
no they sell it do you dirty.. :teehee: yes its bright... sheeesh
Actually it is not bright, they add black and blue to it so it hides better. You get what you pay for with paint, at $10 a gallon it will me mostly water.

·
iamfawkinwithyou
20,722 Posts
OSB will absorb paint, I would plan for more paint

·
missmrgreenagain
21,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
The Warped One
623 Posts
If you go with water based paint, dilute the first coat about 50% with water, this will allow it to penetrate more and it will act like a sealer. Then put on a second coat. Avoid flat paint, they fill it too much and the inexpensive stuff is poor quality. I would go with a gloss or semigloss as it contains more polymer and will seal/protect better. It is also easier to wash and picks up dirt less. Do not use an interior paint for exterior (or vice versa) or you are asking for problems.

·
missmrgreenagain
21,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys

·
missmrgreenagain
21,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ill look in to that

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
any water borne paint will allow the wood tannins in the OSB to leach through the paint. Your white will be yellow. You need to paint it first w/ an oil based primer. one coat of oil based primer and one coat of 10.00/gallon barn paint will look 10 times better than 2,3,4 coats of expensive white latex paint. Original Kilz oil base is a good, cheap way to go.

·
Selective Hearing
502 Posts
if you might be doing two coats , maybe for the first coat look at mismatched paint . its cheaper becouse they want to get rid of it .

·
Semper Fidelis
4,541 Posts
Inbeforesomeonesuggestsmasturbationparty.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts