Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who makes the easiest lift to install and how big can I go on a XJ without relocating brake lines. and one more dumb question how much bigger are 30 inch tires compared to 225 thanks

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
the stock 225's are about 27-28" tires.

you can go up to 5" without relocating the brake lines. just don't ever leave the paved road.

2"= no relocating required, but might still recommend
3"= relocate stock lines down aprox. 1.5". recommend longer lines with future upgrades in mind.
4"+= get longer lines.

as far as "easy" install. well all lift kits pretty much replace the same components, so they're all the same. one way to make the initial lift easier is not to replace the full leaf pack, but to install a full length add-a-leaf. that way you don't have to remove the bolts from the spring eyes. that's pretty much the worst part of XJ lifts.

·
Bike Dude
2,103 Posts
PB-Blaster on everything for a good week at least

Then chose your lift.

Rusty's 3" AAL is easy cheap, only changing springs, adding the AAL, shocks and moving brake lines

RE 3.5" super flex is much nicer nets more, a bit more work and money but flexes really nice

I'd personally squeeze 31's but then again the sawz all is my friend

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok now you'll know how new I am what's a AAL

·
NMU Trailcat Alumni
941 Posts
extending your brake lines isn't a big deal, your lifting your car and worried about something that will be the easiest thing to do, i nvr extended my fronts but the rear was being stretched so i added a rubber brake hose onto the metal line and cut and reflared the shortest correct size brake like murrays sold to be like 3" or less and used that to connect the brake hoses, if you need a pic, pm me

btw, personally if you can scrounge the money together or have it or whatever, it would be best to by new leaf packs, aal since they're 1 sometimes 2 leafs giving you like 3" they stiffen up the leaf packs and give you a stiff ride that is 3" or less.

as my buddy said to me, "you wouldn't use a band aid if you cut your arm off, would you?"

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm leaning toward the rubicon 3.5" super ride suspension

1 - 10 of 10 Posts