Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K, so I'm at a crossroads on what to do about lifting the front end of my my project XJ. The Rock Krawler long arms are going on regardless of lift height.

Here's my old XJ with the RE 5.5" coils and RK long arms:

Here's how my XJ sits right now with ~3" coils(I think it a little less), but it's fenders are trimmed about 3" above where the old XJ was.

I'm concerned, that with the 5.5" coils and all the fender trimming, my 33's will look small and I'm not going to 35's until I regear. So these 33's will be my tires for probably another year. So the question is.. do I add a 1" or 1.5" coil spacer to the existing coils just to bump it up level with the rear, or just throw on the 5.5" coil and have my tires look like donuts. I also have RE 4.5" leaves + 1.5" lift shackles for the rear, that will go on if I go with the larger coils.

What do you guys think? Lower COG with proper bumpstopping, or big lift awaiting bigger tires?

·
Pokerob is my B*tch!
11,515 Posts
Why do you care if you tires look to small? Do you have self confidence isues? :poke:

I'm all for the low cog but . . . I say 5.5. I would just rather have all spring.

·
Banned
20,292 Posts
Why do you care if you tires look to small? Do you have self confidence isues? :poke:

I'm all for the low cog but . . . I say 5.5. I would just rather have all spring.
flex good, mhhmmm.:naughty:

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

If I have the option of the tires looking tiny or not, why wouldn't I opt for it to look better if it won't hurt performance? I know function over form blah blah blah, but when you can have both, it's cool too.

flex good, mhhmmm.:naughty:
down travel isn't limited or affected by lift height and I know with the RK long arms, it'll flex amazing no matter what. And regardless, there's enough room to stuff the tire just fine right now without any height modification.

I'm probably going to go with the full coils, I was just wondering what everyone thinks.

·
Feel lucky?
5,147 Posts
Low. I will be running 4.5in with 37s.

I did a bit more cutting than anyone else around here :D

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pre4Runner, how are the Iroks on the street? That's your DD, isn't it?

I'm thinking I'd like about 4.5", I'll post up a wanted to trade.
Then if I ever want to go bigger, I can still use a spacer and go to 6.5" which will be plenty for anything.

·
Banned
20,292 Posts
rusty's 9 inch springs

·
Bike Dude
2,103 Posts
The Iroks have been good for the last two weeks for being bias ply tires balanced with bb's. But as soon as i get some cash im going to find a different tire to run on the street for this winter

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
heres the front of mine-- i have a 3" coil w/ a 2" spacer so im at about 5"

i got 31's on there, can prob fit 33's with no prob, i am running short arms tho

1 - 14 of 14 Posts