Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of building my long arm suspension on my 96 grand cherokee. This vehicle will see mostly street time but wil also be wheeled. I don't go out looking for the most hardcore stuff to it but still do some of the challenging trails. Looking at 3 different joints right now to use on the lower links. All of the will have the 1.25" shank on them but don't know if one is better than the other. Here is what i am looking at,

Creeper joint - $35.00 w/ jam nut
Currie Johnny joint - $41.95 plus jam nut
Balistic forged joint - $53.99 plus jam nut

Which of these 3 would you guys recommend for what i will be using my jeep for? I am leaning toward the creeper joint for the price and that it includes the jam nut. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Ben

·
i like jungle gym's.
10,920 Posts
johnny joint or a heim..anything that is adjustable is junk.

·
i like jungle gym's.
10,920 Posts
anything that comes with the adjuster wrench to "tighten" the joint back up. seems to fall apart or get loose fast.i have had good luck with the "pressed" in johnny joint.(have one lower that is junk after 3 years) but i will never buy them again when i can get heims for cheaper that last a lot longer.mike has replaced those stupid adjustable joints so many times..we finally have put heims in and it is nice and tight again.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
the old timers who drag race at my shop swear by "Hiem" joints...The germans know there shit lol......personally i use a type of johnny joint with a pressed polyerathane bushing.Fyi the bushings are 8.99 at any auto parts supllier so there cheap to replace....ive beaten the shit outta the zj at bundy hill and replaced the bushing once in two years.

"Adjustable is junk"......is this based on the threads being the weak point? Fixed=limited

·
i like jungle gym's.
10,920 Posts
the adjustable ones seem to come loose a lot.then that creates slop.then the bushings get wore and the joint is always sloppy.
colin how in the hell do you think a heim is noisy? that heim does not slap back and forth in the mount if the suspension is designed right.i am sure you will not hear a heim driving down the road with some 40's and a v8?

·
1-810-936-7000
405 Posts
the adjustable ones seem to come loose a lot.then that creates slop.then the bushings get wore and the joint is always sloppy.
colin how in the hell do you think a heim is noisy? that heim does not slap back and forth in the mount if the suspension is designed right.i am sure you will not hear a heim driving down the road with some 40's and a v8?

I would have to agree the adjustable joints seem to wear out faster. The Johnny Joint works really good. I prefer to use the FK Heims. They will hands down out last any joint on the market. We have sold tons of these joints and have never had to warranty one. They never make noise when they are properly installed from our experience.

We have Johnny Joints and FK heims in stock with all the fixings!

·
I'd hit that
1,765 Posts
My adjustable Ballistics suck. I won't use them again.
I would have to agree the adjustable joints seem to wear out faster. The Johnny Joint works really good. I prefer to use the FK Heims. They will hands down out last any joint on the market. We have sold tons of these joints and have never had to warranty one. They never make noise when they are properly installed from our experience.

We have Johnny Joints and FK heims in stock with all the fixings!
This is interesting, and may put what i planned on doing myself in a different direction

·
i like jungle gym's.
10,920 Posts
the johnny joint would be the only thing i would use again if i wanted a joint like that.anything that is pressed together seems to last better.
from what i have seen in real world wheeling and talking to people like unlimited, sunfireoffroad, extremeoffroad and other shops that deal in these every day.a good heim is the only way to go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You will spend $$ for them, but TMR’s lifetime Heims can not be beat. They use a bronze race instead of the nylon races that johnny joints use or the nylon injection mold the regular Heims have. They are rebuildable but if you use a good grade synthetic grease and grease them regularly, they WILL outlast anything on the market.
Product Automotive tire Font Rim Auto part

·
Hang all the thieves
1,770 Posts
Yes, I'm sure the OP would have been happy to know about these, 10 years ago when this thread was made.

·
Gustafson
10,085 Posts
Yes, I'm sure the OP would have been happy to know about these, 10 years ago when this thread was made.
:ROFLMAO: I feel like the only time you post is when someone bumps a decade old thread.....Hahaha

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,686 Posts
I thought this thread was gonna be about weed.

The internet, and legalization of marry jane has ruined me..... face-palm

1 - 18 of 18 Posts