Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is now 13, and we still have about every toy he's ever been given. I want to take all his unbroken, still working toys somewhere in the West Michigan area to be donated. I don't want to post them on cl so somebody can come get them and resell them. I don't want to take them to goodwill for same reason. Is there a place in West Michigan like a kids home or something similar who would take them and use them and not resell for profit? I don't wanna deal with selling them myself. Or maybe an organization that will take them and hand them out to familys and kids for free?

·
Extraordinarily Ordinary
16,885 Posts
Every woman's Place (Muskegon)
Shelter for women and their children who are survivors of domestic violence and/or sexual assault.
Or call Mel Trotter ministries and ask them where the donation could be best used in your community.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Definitely don't take to Good Will. They are a huge corporation that profits off donations. The Salvation Army or places like Mel Trotter would be better places. Also places that take in abused mothers and their kids.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Every woman's Place (Muskegon)
Shelter for women and their children who are survivors of domestic violence and/or sexual assault.
Or call Mel Trotter ministries and ask them where the donation could be best used in your community.

Ditto that. My wife donated all our kids old stuff to a Womens ministries I believe. People were super thankful and gave her a tax receipt. But Salvation Army is always a close second when she can't get to the shelter. They have a true ministry program, not a money pit that pays execs millions like UNICEF, United Way, good will and Susan B Komen.

"The Salvation Army's Commissioner Todd Bassett receives a salary of only $13,000 per year (plus housing) for managing this $2 Billion dollar organization. Which means about $0.93 per dollar earned, is readily available and goes back out to local charity causes... truly amazing... and well done "Sally Ann". "

Good article if any decides to give you grief over that statement. http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/charities.asp

Sent from my bag phone...

·
Registered
419 Posts
How about splitting them between a few churches with pre-schools and/or daycare facilities? A lot of them could probably use some toys. Or if there is a Boys and Girls Club around? Just a thought.

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
DAV - Disabled American Veterans is where we take all of our stuff. They do resell, but I belief they also sponsor families in need directly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts