Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
O.G.
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I am going to state a recall for mine if they voted yes.

·
Motrcytman's spouse
7,208 Posts
I may be wrong but part of the deficit is that the single business tax was eliminated, as it should have been to spur new economic growth without something else either replacing it, or cuts in spending.

42,948 Posts

·
Retired double dipper
984 Posts
Here's how the Michigan House and Senate voted on key bills before them Sunday night and this morning:
HOUSE VOTE ON INCOME TAXES
The House passed the income tax measure 57-52. Democrats hold a 58-52 edge in the House, but three Democrats — Martin Griffin and Michael Simpson of the Jackson area and Lisa Wojno of Warren — voted against it. Two Republicans, Chris Ward of Brighton and Ed Gaffney of Grosse Pointe Farms, voted in favor of the proposal.
SENATE VOTE ON INCOME TAXES
The vote was 19-19, and Lt. Gov. John Cherry broke the tie. Four Republicans voted for the higher income tax — Patricia Birkholz of Saugatuck, Tom George of Portage, Ron Jelinek of Three Oaks and Gerald Van Woerkom of Norton Shores. Democrats Glenn Anderson of Westland and Dennis Olshove of Warren voted against the tax increase.
HOUSE VOTE ON SALES TAX ON SERVICES
No House Republicans voted for the bill placing the sales tax on services — a proposal stiffly opposed by the business community. All Democrats did, except for Reps. Marc Corriveau of Northville and Kate Ebli of Monroe, who voted no. The final vote was xxx to xxx.
SENATE VOTE ON SALES TAX ON SERVICES
The final tally was 19-19, with Lt. Gov. John Cherry again casting the tie-breaking vote. Three Republicans voted for it -- Wayne Kuipers of Holland, Roh Jelinek of Three Oaks and Valde Garcia of Howell. One Democratic -- Glenn Anderson of Westland -- voted against it.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
yeah, westland needs to kick their house rep to the curb. the guy never votes the way the district wants.

·
hoo dat. wat.
21,594 Posts
Great, not only is Birkholz sitting on HB4323, she voted for a tax increase.
:mad:

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Great, not only is Birkholz sitting on HB4323, she voted for a tax increase.
:mad:
whats 4323?

whats worse is my rep is on the appropriations committee. Guess he wants to help divvy the $1.2 billion for the years after the deficit.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Yeah, but from the looks of things at least the Senator from Westland knows who butters his biscuits.
yeah, I'm not fond of politicians, but this guy actually came to my door and chatted for a good long while to get my vote. I'm pretty sure he did that for a great deal of residents in the district to get a feel for the public thoughts.

I just wish Thaddeus would get ousted.

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
I may be wrong but part of the deficit is that the single business tax was eliminated, as it should have been to spur new economic growth without something else either replacing it, or cuts in spending.
The SBT tax is replaced by the Michigan Business Tax effective 1/1/08. This was purported to be a revenue neutral switch, so it should not have had a long-term impact on the budget. In fact the MBT favors the service industry (in theory) by offering tax incentives and other adjustments based on payroll. There are other provisions that make it a little more friendly to small businesses than SBT. SBT favored auto makers and other "heavy" industries by offering credits for capital expenses like equipment.

Don't get me wrong, I think the MBT is almost as stupid as the SBT, but more complicated. Job security for me? :sonicjay:

·
2257 Compliant
331 Posts
A little more info here;

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071001/NEWS06/71001007

Keep in mind that our legislators were not born yesterday. As reported on one of the Detroit TV stations this morning they are well aware of the anti tax backlash and offered up many “sacrificial lambs”. Many of the “yes” votes came from legislators that are term limited out and have nothing to lose. This allows several of our reps to return to their district come election time and tell their constituents that they voted against the tax hike. While technically right they voted against tax hike (and their heart) only because their vote wasn’t needed.

They are all vermin.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts