Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to do some wheeling this summer in my wj after i get my long arm lift on... i'm not one for offroad parks so where would be some great state trails or public land other than silver lake to take my family wheeling for the day in the lower peninsula?

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
I would suggest find a club to join that promotes legal wheeling. If you don't know the trails. I can be difficult sometimes to know which trails are legal or not. Most clubs are family friendly, wheel monthly, and know whats legal.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
3,883 Posts
I'm looking to do some wheeling this summer in my wj after i get my long arm lift on... i'm not one for offroad parks so where would be some great state trails or public land other than silver lake to take my family wheeling for the day in the lower peninsula?
Grayling is a great area to go to, they have a lot of trails that the military and the dnr maintain. Rule of thumb though, if you have to go past a gate to get somewhere you probably shouldn't be there. I've chased plenty of people out of impact areas on four wheelers because they thought it'd be cool to go "exploring"

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,101 Posts
Grayling is a great area to go to, they have a lot of trails that the military and the dnr maintain. Rule of thumb though, if you have to go past a gate to get somewhere you probably shouldn't be there. I've chased plenty of people out of impact areas on four wheelers because they thought it'd be cool to go "exploring"
With the Blackhawk? :naughty:

To the OP, keep in mind that for all practical purposes, "wheeling" on state land is illegal. If you have a street legal vehicle, in the Lower Peninsula, you can drive on Forest Roads unless they are posted closed. However, you must NOT operate in an erosive manner and the road must be passable by a conventional 2wd vehicle. So, if you come across a sand hill that requires 4wd, you may be breaking the law. You are not allowed on ORV "trails" but are allowed on ORV "routes".

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
3,883 Posts
With the Blackhawk? :naughty:

To the OP, keep in mind that for all practical purposes, "wheeling" on state land is illegal. If you have a street legal vehicle, in the Lower Peninsula, you can drive on Forest Roads unless they are posted closed. However, you must NOT operate in an erosive manner and the road must be passable by a conventional 2wd vehicle. So, if you come across a sand hill that requires 4wd, you may be breaking the law. You are not allowed on ORV "trails" but are allowed on ORV "routes".
Oh they run fast when you spot light them at night.... Or so I've heard.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Home Sweet Homicide
3,685 Posts
I have heard of good trails in the national forest over in the NW of the LP.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Where are you located. Yankee Springs area has some fun two tracks that depending on the time of year and if it has rained recently can be pretty fun. Beautiful area to just cruise the trails. No ORV is needed, however some trails require a state park pass. They are technically state forest trails so you can get ticketed for erosion if you drive like a crazy person.

·
bdd
2,385 Posts
The allegan Forrest has some nice easy two tracks. This time of year you might need four wheel drive. State forest RDS so no orv needed. Like others said, tread lightly, and have fun with the family.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Haven't been to Allegan forest anytime recently but I've heard word around here that most of the seasonal road sections have been shut down due to careless inconsiderate drivers tearing the roads apart trying to make mud pits.

Sadly Barry state game area is experiencing the same types of activity and the road conditions have brought the attention of the DNR as well as the Barry county road commission. Their intentions aren't 100% clear at the moment but the community in and around the area, will not go unheard or let any of the trails close without making a strong opposition to the move. Only time will tell. This past weekend a group of us went around the Barry state game area collecting trash and playing around on the trails. We also cleaned up the dagett lake access point. There was trash and beer cans and busted up pallets everywhere. Couple people there thanked us.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts