Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
NEVER GIVE UP!
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If someone passes away and they have a outstanding balance with a creditor, isnt that balance no longer valid?

My M-I-L passed away in Dec, and We got a letter saying, Sorry for your loss but contact us to pay the balance. She was the only one on the line of credit(credit card), so the letter was address to the estate of my M-I-L.

Are they just trying to reach out and see if someone is just going to pay it?

I could see if it was a house or car, and they could sell it to try to recoup there loss, but are you going to return gas and food etc that you bought with the card?

·
hoo dat. wat.
21,594 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can say "Sorry for YOUR loss, we're not responsible."

·
Haggard Fab
11,993 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can say "Sorry for YOUR loss, we're not responsible."
X2.
My buddy and his dad ran his mothers cards way up right before she passed. As far as I know, they havent had to pay a dime of it.

·
i like jungle gym's.
10,920 Posts
X2.
My buddy and his dad ran his mothers cards way up right before she passed. As far as I know, they havent had to pay a dime of it.
good friends.

·
Registered
236 Posts
http://www.debtlawnetwork.com/who-pays-bills-when-someone-dies/

When someone dies (the law calls this person a “decedent”), all assets owned by them in their individual name automatically become part of their “estate.” This is true even if a probate proceeding is not filed. What does this mean? It means that the estate is liable for any bills owed by the decedent at the time of their death, and that these assets should be used to pay the bills.

What if there aren’t enough assets to pay the bills? It’s simple: the bills don’t get paid (with one exception, discussed below).

What if there are medical bills? Generally, medical bills are treated no differently from credit card bills, although some states have limited exceptions.

If you open an estate, and are named as executor or personal representative of the estate, are you responsible for paying these bills? You do not assume any personal liable for the decedent’s bills simply because you are named executor of their estate.

What happens if the decedent’s bills don’t get paid? Nothing. The creditor will write off any unpaid balance and close the account. That’s it (with one exception, discussed below).

Here’s the exception: if someone is jointly liable with the decedent on a bill, such as a joint account, or a guarantee of a debt, that person remains liable even though the decedent has died.

If you’re in doubt, don’t listen to the collection agent who’s telling you you need to pay. Many, many, many times they are simply wrong. Check with a lawyer *before* you pay anything.

·
Redneck Poser
7,971 Posts
As I have understood in the past all debts(and assets) of a person go to the estate must be paid for by the assets before the assets may be distributed to the heirs.

·
Redneck Poser
7,971 Posts
I don't believe they have any recourse. You can't inherit someone's debt, unless you've co-signed for it.
No, you can't. However you cannot get your inheritance until the debts have been paid for. As I mentioned and someone before me mentioned. It is the responsibility of the people in charge of the estate to distribute the assets to resolve the debts then fullfill the will.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Sorry, the page above didn't load before I started typing. Yes, her "estate" will be sold off to recover any standing balances, but after it's all gone, they write off the debt.

·
NEVER GIVE UP!
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well since My M-I-L had nothing in here name, I guess they are out of luck. Her estate inc her cooking pans,clothes,shoes and lots of old board games

Rip Cindy

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts
call the credit card company and them them to call onegro in D.C. he's got all the monies.

·
hoo dat. wat.
21,594 Posts
Credit card companies are a bunch of crooks anyways. Why not stick it to them just a little bit?
Because of retarded consumers like you, the credit card companies are "crooks". Don;t be pissed they give you enough rope to hang yourself, and you're stupid enough to do it. :rolleyes:

·
Haggard Fab
11,993 Posts
Because of retarded consumers like you, the credit card companies are "crooks". Don;t be pissed they give you enough rope to hang yourself, and you're stupid enough to do it. :rolleyes:
For the record, I personally have 0 credit cards.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts