Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty, my stock Moab rims are starting to look like ass after the abuse they've been put thru and I was wondering what the best way of removing the teflon coating and then painting them would be. Most of it has been peeling away over time and the brake dust eats in to the teflon thats not gone already and impossible to clean/scrub. I'm thinking of painting the rims black just to blend.

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
That's what I did. If you want them really clean, you will probably need to have them blasted. I just scraped off the peeling crap, sanded them some, and shot them with acrylic enamel car paint. They lasted through one winter already.

They have a 50 foot paintjob. (look great from 50 feet)

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Go to the auto parts store, look in the paint prep section for aircraft stripper. Thats stuff usually does a good job.

When you paint, get a bunch of index cards, and jam them between the rim and tire all the way around, works good for masking. Paint after the tires are on, less chance of chipping/scratching.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the tires are already on. Will the aircraft stripper hurt the rubbeR?

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
Well, the tires are already on. Will the aircraft stripper hurt the rubbeR?

probably in the long term. It's brush on though, keep it off the tires. It wouldn't work on mine. They were clear-coated with like plastic.. I dunno..

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
That aircraft shit won't take off the clear on rims. We worked and worked on some XJ rims and finally had to blast them.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
That aircraft shit won't take off the clear on rims. We worked and worked on some XJ rims and finally had to blast them.
X2 I couldnt get it to work very good either .

I had the old ratty alum. rims on my van sand blasted and powder coated Light metal flake sliver and they look sweet

4 rims sandblasted and painted $ 120.00

1 - 8 of 8 Posts