Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Whannabe Wheeler
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...this may be a stupid question but I wont know the answer until I ask. I have been having problems with wheel bearings/hub assy. consistantly since I have lifted jeep and put the 33's on it. What kind of wheel bearings should I run or do you guys run and what kind of life span should I expect out of them? The reason I ask is because about every year I have to replace them and that gets expensive or is there any tricks i should know about that I can prolong the life of these things?

Thanks,

Travis

·
I fix stuff!
13,804 Posts
Torque the axle nut to specs, don't just pound it tight with an impact wrench. I also recommend BCA bearings.

·
Tiny Member
280 Posts
Get some with a warranty. I got mine from murrays and they have a 2 year warranty. So after you pay for 2 you don't have to buy anymore if you just warranty them out.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Torque to specs. Im guessing thats your problem. Ive seen the cheap ones last alot longer than a year.

·
Registered
312 Posts
There are 3 style of unit bearings for the XJ 30. The ones used from 86-89 had tapered roller bearings. They are stronger than the other two units used from 1990-2001. You will need matching rotors. Try to get name brand units. Yes they are expensive.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Buy ones that have a warranty.

I'm looking at your avatar and may see the problem. Run wheels with more backspacing and adjust the steering stops out to keep the tires off the control arms instead. I ran 285/75r16's on Moabs with no spacers on my XJ and only a minimal adjustment was required. Not much turning radius was lost.

·
U-Joints Fear Me
3,361 Posts
Check out this guy. The bearings are made in Gaylord, they are badass quality, and you can't beat the price. I bought 2 for my Grand a few months back and they worked out great. D&D auto in Troy uses them as their main supplier, but they can be had cheaper on Ebay.
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Diesel-Freak-Performance__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Edit Nevermind i guess he pulled down all the wheel bearings. Sorry...

·
Whannabe Wheeler
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im thinking I have made all of these problems myself by not tourqing them properly...looking back on it I think i have only put them on properly once....but I have also run into the problems of the rear seal coming out and not knowing it and exposing the bearing to the elements along with dirt and debris...Im going to get some with a warranty and find the proper tourqing procedures here on the net or ask my buddy that works at a chrsler dealership here in town and go from there.

·
Geocache Addict
1,462 Posts
I just replaced my unit bearings on my YJ...and I bought a good torque wrench to ensure they were properly torqued. My torque spec. was 175 ft/lbs. I bought a pair of them with a lifetime warranty. It is worth the $ in the long run.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts