·
I only wheel a boat.
17,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how much are these, how do they perform

·
Playing Possum
6,751 Posts
I don't know the going rate these days. They used to be pretty cheap.

It's a good strong, cast iron, gear driven case. The downside is the gear ratio was somewhere around 2:1 in low range. There is a way to swap some gears and end up with around 2.45:1 low range. The 20 is nice and short and has a straight through design.

·
hug life
10,197 Posts
i think they are generally pretty cheep, ive always seen them running from between 25$ to 125$, so search and you should be able get one on the cheep.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Rubicon 1 has a pile (literally) of them in Parts For Sale. He's in Westland.

They are strong cases and yet disposeable since there are so many out there. The low gear swap is done qwith Dana 18 gears, but there are also aftermarket low-range kits out there that get you to 3.15:1 or something.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
he has one, not looking for one lol

I see. He didn't specify that. What he posted is usually what people ask before they buy something. :tonka:

What did it come from?

·
Countryboy
1,599 Posts
dang I need to get with rubicon 1 for some parts. I am not that far from westland. Hmmm.... what auto tranny will bolt right up to the dana 20. The tranny has to be able to bolt directly up to a 350sbc too.

·
Banned
20,292 Posts
dang I need to get with rubicon 1 for some parts. I am not that far from westland. Hmmm.... what auto tranny will bolt right up to the dana 20. The tranny has to be able to bolt directly up to a 350sbc too.
depends, what kind of cat are you running?

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
aaah PP the good ol' scout linkage mod..

Jeep used some fucked up shift linkages in these things..I got an old J truck and to grab 4wd you gotta do some crazy shit...

Dood dana 20s are EVERYWHERE, from FSJs, CJs, scouts, even early broncos if you need a drivers side drop variant..

scour your local yards and buddies before spending money to pay for shipping or driving a great distance to get one

·
skillicous
12,844 Posts
FYI- I got 2 early Bronco D20s for $150 total...

·
Can't lose with 42s
1,055 Posts
The Bronco D20s have a lower low range than the Jeep versions...
I'd pick one up just to have the guts to convert a jeep one to the better low range....

·
Registered
459 Posts
Jeep used D20s behind some th400s,I would think if you could get a hold of one of those you could pull the tailshaft and adapter and put it in a gm th400.

·
I only wheel a boat.
17,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the info, not sure if the scout is worth parting out. might just go to the crusher after I take the front bumper off

1 - 16 of 16 Posts