Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, been a while since I've been on here.

I've had this truck since April 2004. I made the mistake of parking it in the summers since 2016, and it didn't see enough rain to wash out the salt, and apparently these are just simply prone to frame rot. The initial rot is because of sand and debris caught in the bottom of the rear most part other boxed section of frame.

I'm not too worried about it, but I'm looking to sell it before more goes wrong, and I'm afraid that crack is enough to make it worth only $1500.

The good:
- Runs, shifts, and drives great (aside from old hard tires and shocks are going); tight steering with newer moog tie-rods, brakes well with good pedal feel. 165k miles, 2nd owner, no tears in the seats. There's a few cigarette burns that were there when I bought it. The truck even looks pretty good. Pioneer DEH-X8600B HD headunit, Alpine component speakers up front (6.5" driver with separate tweeter). $500 Extang Revolution tonneau cover (july 2015), and Dick Cepek wheels. The 3 of the BFG AT tires look good. The other is bald, because it's a peg leg and the tires went hard. That tire has the least traction, so it's always spinning.

The bad:
- That frame rot up front. There's a cross member that's pretty bad, the one I believe usually rots first on these. And the rear fuel tank strap is gone. The bed is pretty rough, front cab mounts were full of holes when I last checked, especially driver's side. The brake lines and fuel lines are getting pretty rusty, but not leaking. The brake lines were redone 10-12 years ago with coated lines, and even those haven't lasted.

Maybe I'm just being sentimental, but I feel like I may be letting it go for too little, but between the fuel tank, fuel lines, brake lines, and frame...Yeah, the frame could be patched, and the brake lines may have a couple years left.

Anybody want to offer their thoughts and opinion? Sorry, this turned out longer that I intended.

Thanks

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,213 Posts
Not to be a jackass...but that truck is toast. It looks like it nearly rotted out on the body (not like, rust bucket, but you can tell in the pics it's missing a good chunk of metal under those flares or at least looks like it)

That frame rot isn't just a little hole, that line seems to tell me that entire section of frame is rotted going back at least to the edge of the picture. Me personally, I would not buy that truck even if it was $1,000. If it were my truck, i'd cut out what you could, patch and weld it, patch what you can't and just keep it.

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,213 Posts
I see them and buy them all the time for 600-800 in roughly that condition.
Yeah, I was going to say $1,000....

The things that are wrong with it are MAJOR issues....

Yep, nothing saying it's worthless, just saying that it's not a simple needs bumper welded on.

Just saying don't be the guy that throws a ridiculous price because if sentimental value, value is there or it isn't m.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for confirming my suspicions. I think when I drive it, I don't feel like it's that bad at all, and start to wonder what it's really worth and I couldn't find anything to compare it too, so I especially appreciate the numbers. I figured the drivetrain is worth $1000-$1200, but worth more without the truck, so I get I have to take a hit on selling junk with the drivetrain.

It has always been maintained and had Mobil 1 run through it. FWIW, I gave the frame quite a few good whacks with the claw end of a hammer, and it's still fairly solid. Is it good enough to weld to? That I don't know, but that part is where it's boxed and a bunch of crap sat in the frame and held water and junk for years, so yes the bottom of that section is toast. I'm divorced and living in an apartment, so even though I have all my tools, they're at my ex's still. There's too much that's too far gone, I definitely agree with that. The bed is definitely toast, and so is the rear bumper. The cab isn't too bad, and it just developed holes in the front fenders in the last year or two. Just not enough good left to be saved, but it has fairly nice wheels and things. I have an offer for $1250 as-is; A friend/co-workers son, and my friend has driven it and mentioned how amazing it shifts and everything. I let him decide when he sees it for himself though.

Thanks again

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,213 Posts
Thanks guys for confirming my suspicions. I think when I drive it, I don't feel like it's that bad at all, and start to wonder what it's really worth and I couldn't find anything to compare it too, so I especially appreciate the numbers. I figured the drivetrain is worth $1000-$1200, but worth more without the truck, so I get I have to take a hit on selling junk with the drivetrain.

It has always been maintained and had Mobil 1 run through it. FWIW, I gave the frame quite a few good whacks with the claw end of a hammer, and it's still fairly solid. Is it good enough to weld to? That I don't know, but that part is where it's boxed and a bunch of crap sat in the frame and held water and junk for years, so yes the bottom of that section is toast. I'm divorced and living in an apartment, so even though I have all my tools, they're at my ex's still. There's too much that's too far gone, I definitely agree with that. The bed is definitely toast, and so is the rear bumper. The cab isn't too bad, and it just developed holes in the front fenders in the last year or two. Just not enough good left to be saved, but it has fairly nice wheels and things. I have an offer for $1250 as-is; A friend/co-workers son, and my friend has driven it and mentioned how amazing it shifts and everything. I let him decide when he sees it for himself though.

Thanks again
Take the cash

Reactions: Jrgunn5150

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,213 Posts
Would be worth taking out the engine and trans

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I do LS swaps, all the time. Literally all the time.

There isn't a day in the week where 500 bucks doesn't get me a complete 5.3 with accesories and harness dropped right in the bed of my truck without turning a bolt.

They're so common and cheap, I won't even pull one in the junkyard for 250, because usually I can just buy them in the 3-400 range. 500 is the, I gotta have one right now price.

The 4L60, worthless to me, but to a guy with a bad one, another 400-500 bucks.

1200 is a deal, run

1 - 10 of 10 Posts