Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking at a 2008 JKU Sahara with 215,000 miles for my next project

The transmission is a bit clunky but runs and drives, otherwise seems to be in decent shape. If i get it, I'm going V8 swap it so not too concerned about the trans issue, but want to use that to my negotiating advantage

The guy is asking 7500. I have no idea values on these, they seem to cost much more than that generally when they are in good shape. What do y'all think?

Also, anything else I should look out for when looking at these?

EDIT: I'm thinking a good target price is right around $4,500

·
Resident HVAC/R Jambi
10,938 Posts
7500 seems very fair to me. As long as it's not beat up and rusted up. Miles are not that big of a deal, even swapping out motors and stuff is cheap. You'd be steeling it at 4500.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,102 Posts
12 year old vehicle with over 200k miles and shitty trans and 7500 is a good price? Wow, I’m out of touch.

·
Resident HVAC/R Jambi
10,938 Posts
12 year old vehicle with over 200k miles and shitty trans and 7500 is a good price? Wow, I’m out of touch.
I know, it's rediculous! So is the price of a new truck that can tow ($60k+), so is the price of a 2019 Sahara ($42K). Even the prices of Daveys Jeeps Repairable's, go check them out, I think I paid about $6k for my LJ through him with a salvage title and at the time that was a deal, I was searching all over for a repairable LJ.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has trouble figuring out the value of JKU. In reality theyre junk, but they hold value. I found a 2door jk with a blown engine and that guy was asking 5500. I'm going to offer 4500 on the JKU and if he doesnt accept I think I'll keep looking.

I'm cross-shopping WJ Overlands and they are way more bang for the buck... but the top doesnt come off

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,402 Posts
I think jeeps (removable top) may be the best brand to buy new.

For a very long the price of a yj was crazy, then it was the tj, now it is the lj etc....

Part of me would like to buy a 4 door, but they're just so expensive for what they are...

·
Gustafson
9,105 Posts
I think jeeps (removable top) may be the best brand to buy new.

For a very long the price of a yj was crazy, then it was the tj, now it is the lj etc....

Part of me would like to buy a 4 door, but they're just so expensive for what they are...
I agree with you, but the ROI is so much better on a Jeep. If you bought it new for 40k, you could drive the thing for 10 years and still sell it for 20k. It's crazy how well they hold their value. :sonicjay:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts