Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Thin Line Offroad
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to design some sketches for a potential addition to my home. I'm not a big cad guy, but I see a ton of those download and use for free programs. I need something I can put the current floor plan of my home in and build/modify from that with ease, and hopefully without a bunch of bugs and spam. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Sketchup.

There's certainly a learning curve, but it has been a great tool for me. I used it for our deck project, with every footing and board in the drawing. I had the back of the house, the foot print of the garage, etc... I used it to print cross sections for the building permit. More recently, I used it to mockup our porch rebuild, and that helped with a lot of decisions.

The biggest thing is to learn to keep things in groups. If you draw a 4"x4"x10', select it all, right click and select, "Make a group." If you don't, things get intermingled and impossible to separate. It also makes copying pieces easier. If you have something that is always going to be the same, it can be made into a "Component". When you change that component, every single one in the drawing changes.

If you learn the keyboard shortcuts, things go faster. Just as an example, if you're drawing a studded wall, you can hit "M" for the move tool. Click a corner, drag it over, then hit Ctrl to get a copy. The original snaps back to where it was. If you drag along an axis or an edge, you can simply enter "16", followed by Enter", and the piece drops 16" over.

Attachments

·
Thin Line Offroad
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sketchup.

There's certainly a learning curve, but it has been a great tool for me. I used it for our deck project, with every footing and board in the drawing. I had the back of the house, the foot print of the garage, etc... I used it to print cross sections for the building permit. More recently, I used it to mockup our porch rebuild, and that helped with a lot of decisions.

The biggest thing is to learn to keep things in groups. If you draw a 4"x4"x10', select it all, right click and select, "Make a group." If you don't, things get intermingled and impossible to separate. It also makes copying pieces easier. If you have something that is always going to be the same, it can be made into a "Component". When you change that component, every single one in the drawing changes.

If you learn the keyboard shortcuts, things go faster. Just as an example, if you're drawing a studded wall, you can hit "M" for the move tool. Click a corner, drag it over, then hit Ctrl to get a copy. The original snaps back to where it was. If you drag along an axis or an edge, you can simply enter "16", followed by Enter", and the piece drops 16" over.
Thank you! That program may be a bit advanced for me but I'll check it out! I was thinking more of an overhead 2D type of thing, but this dinosaur wouldn't mind learning a few new tricks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts