Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Last Free Man
10,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for a winch for my scrambler.
There are two that I'm contemplating right now:
1. old Warn 8274 - 8,000# (I can get this one and a Ramsey 6000# for $400)
2. newer Warn 12,000# ($600)

I like the 8274 but I'm concerned if it will be enough pulling force for a scrambler.

·
Last Free Man
10,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump for morning crowd, in case you weren't awake at midnight :)

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,694 Posts
For original purchaser. Not sure if it covers the break??

How heavy will the scrambler be (tons and 40's or???)?

·
787 Posts
CC is right Warn parts are expensive. I use 8274's with 2 batt's, 00 cable & my only problem with the winches has been the brake system. $.02

·
Last Free Man
10,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For original purchaser. Not sure if it covers the break??

How heavy will the scrambler be (tons and 40's or???)?
I'm thinking when it's all done, it should be around 6,000lbs.? Doesn't it weight around 4k when stock?

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
I have rarely seen someone who actually owned an used an M8274 that wanted to go to something else...

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Have had a few different winches and now run an 8274. Like Haggar said, will never run something else. Maintain it and it works well, just like anything else.

Never had a bit of trouble with it.

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts
I have always owned ramsey winches. but the new solid state milemarker v10 & v12 look nice.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have a Warn M8000 on my scrambler, seems to be large enough. Is the winch for self recovery, or are you a trail guide type and will be the official wincher? If the later get a larger winch so that you can run it longer between cool down periods.

·
i like jungle gym's.
10,920 Posts
I have rarely seen someone who actually owned an used an M8274 that wanted to go to something else...
i used mine for 2 years and i sold it.great winch but not enough power.i was going to do the bigger motor but i decided to off it and get something else.want something smaller in size with more power.the ground is real touchy on it also.
a little birdy said call ironman, i think there is a couple good deals on tmax's to be had.jeepbratt just got hooked up from him.

·
Registered
687 Posts
My 8274 is over 30 years old, I can only remember one time I had to double up the line for self extraction, I tripple lined a tractor out of a pond once as well. It is enough winch.

the 12000 is sllloooowwwww compared to the 8274.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
8274 - great winch. nice and fast and reliable. i had one that was 25 years old. a quick once-through and it was good to go

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts

Have 4 of them now. And a HS9500 on the TJ.

·
can you hear the banjos?
9,801 Posts
your going to give me one right?

i'll trade you... well, besides the usual "favors" and paintball equipment i have some motors and other parts laying around :)
any parts to bump up my compression on my mullet ride?

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
I'm thinking when it's all done, it should be around 6,000lbs.? Doesn't it weight around 4k when stock?
Nope. My Scrambler weighed 3200lb with a small block Chrysler in it and an 8274 on it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts