Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Red Dragons!
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I walked out of my garage today and heard a strange noise. There was a drone hovering in front of my house. As I turned to look at it and go towards it, it backed away. After a few seconds, it came back towards the house and crashed, falling into some trees and landing on its top. I went over, looked at the camera, shook my head and turned it off. Nobody has come looking for it. I pulled the memory card out, and I recognize a house about 3/8 of a mile away.
Do I return it? Break it and return it? Call the cops? Throw it out? Keep it as a trophy? It landed right where the kids were playing shortly before.
Could have ended badly for sure.

·
81 inches of fun
14,286 Posts
I'd say it's yours now to do what you want. Dead battery or not, people need to keep these things on their own property.
You can't see shit from 200-400' up, shit happens. Sorry, but unless you catch it looking in a window or hovering ultra low over your house (without landing), privacy fears are unfounded. 99% of the time is sunsets and landscape photography, and you literally do not own your airspace that is just the way it is. It is no different than the planes that fly over houses taking pictures ultra low then try to sell you the aerial pictures of your property. It's been done for tens of decades. Although that only happens to "country people".

Sometimes they have connection issues, and often that results in a forced landing too.

·
Resident HVAC/R Jambi
10,938 Posts
What I'm saying is it landed on his property. I don't care who owns what airspace. And I've seen drone pics from 400 feet and its shocking what they can see with today's cameras.

·
Red Dragons!
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thinking I may give it back. The guy lives a half mile away. Just seems very irresponsible to me. And it was low enough to not make it over my house.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,437 Posts
Ask the guy if he has a drone controller that he wants to sell.
x2

If you can hear the drone, it's too close to the house. Keep it, it's yours now IMO. Irresponsible owners be dammed; that the risk you accept when you do stupid shit like flow a drone close to someones house. If you found it in the middle of the yard or on your roof randomly, that's a different story. You can explain that as an accident pretty reasonably.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts