Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little backstory. I started Boyscouts in the early 90's, when I started going to summer camp my father who was retired would volunteer for staff at camp. Fast forward 10 years My father has been working at camp since 93 for the summer and I go and volunteer when I can being its only an hour away. In past years we've understood the word thrifty. Our troop would save money by fixing the broken cots they had and recycled any good equipment for either their use or the cub scouts from the same pack.

Dad has been a camp ranger. Being the local camp still has a fairly tight budget he and his cohort open bags of garbage in order to pull out stuff that won't burn ( the rest goes into an incinerator because of bears). Because of this fun job dad has pulled some amazing things out of the garbage. In the past 5 years he's pulled out:

New in box tent. The lady who owned it sprayed the tent with sealer then rolled it back up while it was still wet. She couldn't open it on a cold morning when they arrived so she pitched it. we opened it on a warm day and set it up. Like I said Brand Spanking New, never slept in.

An IPOD MINI. Seems the owner brought it to camp to use, when he found out the battery has a half-hour if that life he pitched it.

A twin sized air matress. I can't figure out what's wrong with it aside from the fact the kid's name is on the side of it. More than likely it was probably used for a week then pitched because momma didn't want to carry it home.

A queen sized air matress. Same deal as above. I just got done inflating both so I know they hold air without leaks.

A Fossil Dive watch lookalike. I can't beleive someone lost this thing. It looks like the stainless steel dive watch with about 4 different dials on the front. If this was my watch I wouldn't have left it in the couch where we found it. Something similar to this but with more dials.

And a full week's worth of food. One of the troops that was just at camp had a tendancy to go to Munising and pick up pizzas and subs and snack foods rather than use the camp's food. At the end of the night they would just chuck all the food (that they paid for) in the trash and return an empty basket.

Call me old fashioned but I seem to remember being a cheap college student and fixing and repairing stuff that I myself broke. I don't think that I've ever thrown out something that was so new that you can still see the original packing wrinkles in the vinyl. What the F%$# is this world coming to?

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
sounds like the people have taught they're kids that money grows on trees. most kids are better then that I would hope. I live out here by Chelsea and my buddy runs a scrap place. he is constantly getting bikes and stuff that have nothing wrong other then flat tires . it seems the people just toss them and buy new. I got a Troy built tiller engine that was tossed because the engine wouldn't run. I cleaned the carb and found the throttle shaft stuck from sitting. it was just tossed in the scrap pile.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
and people bitch about not bein to afford anything, they just throw it away, thats crappy. just like this dude i know gets cars that are beaters, and totally beats the shit out of them, and wonders why they break. because he never even attempts to take care of them? duh

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I agree with ya Yetti. Last year we picked up 4 full 80# propane cylinders at the cost of free. The guy was venting the gas into the air when we stopped him because they were supposed to be scrapped. Guess who had free fuel for heating their garage that winter?

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
my dad works in the landfill...

you wouldn't belive the stuff he's found...

xbox, ps2, ipods, LCD tv's, a chicken, copper... lots of copper.

·
rack tap re-rack click
13,502 Posts
Oh I agree with ya Yetti. Last year we picked up 4 full 80# propane cylinders at the cost of free. The guy was venting the gas into the air when we stopped him because they were supposed to be scrapped. Guess who had free fuel for heating their garage that winter?
what an asshole...doesn't make sense...good find for you though

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
The economy, War, money being short. bla, bla, bla,

So I think everyone needs to focas on the Good things in there lives. Stop and smell the roses.

Oh and get your Asses up to the Pig Gig so we can all let our hair down for one weekend. Life is to short to be mad all the time.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: what the hell, he was just 'venting' it holy shit, money floating away

·
******* Poser
7,971 Posts
Ever notice how much people whom had a hard life appreciate things more?

Notice your grandparents and how they handled stuff and money? as a kid it used to annoy the piss out of me. Grandpa kept EVERYTHING. Depression took its toll on alot of people and taught them the true value of a dollar.

I hate to say it, but I think that is the only thing that will change the materialistic society we are all in today.

·
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ever notice how much people whom had a hard life appreciate things more?

Notice your grandparents and how they handled stuff and money? as a kid it used to annoy the piss out of me. Grandpa kept EVERYTHING. Depression took its toll on alot of people and taught them the true value of a dollar.

I hate to say it, but I think that is the only thing that will change the materialistic society we are all in today.
I grew up that way. The best description for me, I'm a scrapper. my father and I were both taught that you throw something away when it desinergrates. He was a depression kid and so was my mom which is why I was brought up that way. On the plus side he also was a marine back when the planes were wood and the men were steel so I've been taught all the ways to make cheap fixes that work rather than buy new.

·
GLFWDA member
2,674 Posts
you shoulda seen the kids i went to high school with, got handed everything. electronics, college payed for, $80,000 trucks, etc.. and they walked around like the world owed them something. they were all theives too, i didnt get it their parents payed for eveything and they walk around stealing everything?!?!?! any way it always pissed me off, cause i worked for my crap, while all their stuff got handed to them

·
All out Idiot
1,714 Posts
most of my friends don't understand why i search through scrap dumsters.

i can't tell you the number of things on my jeep or tthat i have planned that were made from free material.

but in general, i am a pack rat. i can't throw anything away that might have a use later.

if only more people were more thrifty and less wastefull.

oh well, you can go back to your lives now.

·
HURL SCOUTS
10,007 Posts
when we cleaned out my grandma's house I found two brand new furnace motors. I turned them into single shaft bench grinders and gave each to two friends who needed one but could not afford to buy one. recycle. I made my tire carrier from free scrap metal 2"x2" tubing and we were tossing a machine at work that I took and it had a ton of virgin steel in it. I used the outer sheetmetal to make my custom jeep dash. prime example was 2 years ago I needed a weed whip and picked one up at the local aco on sale. It was a corded one and when I got home to use it for the first time 20 minutes old I tripped on the cord fell and snapped the plastic shaft of the new yard groomer. totally could have just tossed it. instead I planed an old broomstick to fit inside the shaft slid the plastic over the stick and secured it with 4 screws. still operating fine to this day.

·
Just The Spouse's spouse
1,885 Posts
1. One mans junk is another mans treasure.

2. Ive seen old folks that couldnt throw anything away (packrats). After theyve passed, not only did it cost thousands to dispose of their junk, but sometimes the houses end up condemned.

·
The N3rd
5,871 Posts
sounds like the people have taught they're kids that money grows on trees. most kids are better then that I would hope. I live out here by Chelsea and my buddy runs a scrap place. he is constantly getting bikes and stuff that have nothing wrong other then flat tires . it seems the people just toss them and buy new. I got a Troy built tiller engine that was tossed because the engine wouldn't run. I cleaned the carb and found the throttle shaft stuck from sitting. it was just tossed in the scrap pile.
The bike thing is easily understandable. Most people don't buy bikes from bike shops. They buy the POS's at Wally World. In that aspect it is cheaper to buy a new bike than fix the old one. Stupid, but cheaper. Same concept with sunglasses. I go through 5-6 cheap ones in a summer because they seem to break so easily, but I still have my $150 pair from 8th grade, which I've had repaired twice due to breakage in 8 years. I think shit has gotten so cheap, that people don't care about fixing crap products.

·
The N3rd
5,871 Posts
2. Ive seen old folks that couldnt throw anything away (packrats). After theyve passed, not only did it cost thousands to dispose of their junk, but sometimes the houses end up condemned.
x2 on that...Thats how my mom was. It's sick to see how people store all that crap thats either useless or someone else could be making better use of than just sitting and rotting. I'm the anti packrat. Simplicity and organization are key. I don't throw away stuff that can be useful, but if i haven't used something in 2-3yrs, gets donated, sold, or given to a friend that can use it. If I REALLY need something that badly I'll borrow it or buy a new one, or find a great deal on a used one.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
you shoulda seen the kids i went to high school with, got handed everything. electronics, college payed for, $80,000 trucks, etc.. and they walked around like the world owed them something. they were all theives too, i didnt get it their parents payed for eveything and they walk around stealing everything?!?!?! any way it always pissed me off, cause i worked for my crap, while all their stuff got handed to them
when i was a porter for a body shop, we had people all the time bring in fancy car, and after the car was done, and they came to pick it up, they would bitch about something that wasnt even in the estimate, saying that we didnt fix it. fockin rich people

1 - 20 of 27 Posts