Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Emergency brake incase of a disconnect???

If there is a loop in the wire it should slip over the ball or connect to the vehicle somehow.

42,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Emergency brake incase of a disconnect???

If there is a loop in the wire it should slip over the ball or connect to the vehicle somehow.
It doesn't. The e-brake cable goes to this odd looking box. I went and looked at this trailer, and I'm picking it up saturday. The guy wasn't home when I was there, so I didn't get a chance to ask him.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,157 Posts
That's a surge brake box. As you slow down the weight of the trailer creeps up on the towing vehicle applying hydraulic pressure to the brakes. The cable is there to activate the hydraulic brakes in case of a break away. You can see the oil fill plug in the top and the heavy duty spring behind it that releases the brakes.

This system is used almost exclusively on boat trailers since dumping electric brakes into the water can cause issues.

The real bitch with these is trying to back your trailer up an incline. Wants to keep applying the trailer brakes.

42,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just had to call him, because this is confusing me.

You're 100% right, it has a hydraulic front axle braking system. The rears are electric. He converted the rear to electric in case the hydraulic setup failed.

:sonicjay:

·
Get Some
4,226 Posts
I just had to call him, because this is confusing me.

You're 100% right, it has a hydraulic front axle braking system. The rears are electric. He converted the rear to electric in case the hydraulic setup failed.

:sonicjay:
i have never seen that but ok.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
there should be a lever or pin that you can engage when backing up so that this does not happen. mine did.
Many of the newer surge set-ups that I have seen have a wire in them that goes to your reverse lights, This will disengage the brakes when you are in reverse so you can move.

·
"The Situation"
14,415 Posts
Many of the newer surge set-ups that I have seen have a wire in them that goes to your reverse lights, This will disengage the brakes when you are in reverse so you can move.
So that's why boat trailers have a 5 pin flat set up.. :confused:

·
A-1 Dave Costa
1,106 Posts

why the heck would i want an electric setup on a trailer that i am going to submerge... especially since most of them tell you to disconnect the lights when you are going to launch...

Also, i have yet to have a boat trailer that did not have a locking pin to prevent the compression... although many of my older ones they have been on the bottom of the hitch

·
"The Situation"
14,415 Posts
x3

ever had to back a 26' salmon boat up am incline with surge brakes? it doesnt go well
Ever had to read a whole thread about this where people have already state most newer boats have a switch wired to the reverse lights to cut out the surge brakes when backing.. Yea that goes so well. :thumb: ( yours is probably old and dont have that. i just felt like being a dick):sonicjay:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts