Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Geocache Addict
1,462 Posts
It's the ore dock in Marquette. Here are my brother and I in front of it but this picture is from the other side from where that other picture was taken (most likely the Marquette information center/park and Father Marquette Memorial statue).

·
The N3rd
5,871 Posts
It's the ore dock in Marquette. Here are my brother and I in front of it but this picture is from the other side from where that other picture was taken (most likely the Marquette information center/park and Father Marquette Memorial statue).
I take it there is a geocache hidden along there? :thumb:

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
its the NEW ore dock btw. I have pictures somewhere of the old one that was all wood. Not sure if they tore the whole thing down to build a new one or if they just renovated that one, but its vastly improved over what was there.

·
Geocache Addict
1,462 Posts
Yep...there is a geocache there (some of you guys know me too well). I don't know if this information is still valid, but if you are in the area and would like to see a freighter loaded you can call (906)226-6122 to find out the time to be there to witness it. I hear that it is pretty spectacular but haven't seen it myself. Note: it gets its ore from the Tilden and Empire mines, South of Negaunee.

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
We saw one being loaded one night. It was pretty cool. We were sitting there watching it and we looked to our left and there were 3 deer not 15 feet away from us and they didn't care that we were there talking and joking around. My son got within prolly 5 feet of one and it might have let him get closer but I pulled him back.

Those ramps, or shutes they lower are huge. Like a gigantic slide. And the train cars on top of the thing look tiny compared to everything else.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.