Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
its for loading coal on to ships possible in marquette i know that ive seen one up there but it had train tracks on the one i saw.

·
Geocache Addict
1,462 Posts
It's the ore dock in Marquette. Here are my brother and I in front of it but this picture is from the other side from where that other picture was taken (most likely the Marquette information center/park and Father Marquette Memorial statue).

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Yup, Marquette. Loading Iron into the ships. Trains run on the top and gravity unloads them. Then these long ramps drop down into the ship and all the stuff slides into the holds.

·
Dont Feed the Cyco
17,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's the ore dock in Marquette. Here are my brother and I in front of it but this picture is from the other side from where that other picture was taken (most likely the Marquette information center/park and Father Marquette Memorial statue).
:thumb: :thumb:

·
The N3rd
5,871 Posts
I take it there is a geocache hidden along there? :thumb:

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
its the NEW ore dock btw. I have pictures somewhere of the old one that was all wood. Not sure if they tore the whole thing down to build a new one or if they just renovated that one, but its vastly improved over what was there.

·
Geocache Addict
1,462 Posts
Yep...there is a geocache there (some of you guys know me too well). I don't know if this information is still valid, but if you are in the area and would like to see a freighter loaded you can call (906)226-6122 to find out the time to be there to witness it. I hear that it is pretty spectacular but haven't seen it myself. Note: it gets its ore from the Tilden and Empire mines, South of Negaunee.

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
We saw one being loaded one night. It was pretty cool. We were sitting there watching it and we looked to our left and there were 3 deer not 15 feet away from us and they didn't care that we were there talking and joking around. My son got within prolly 5 feet of one and it might have let him get closer but I pulled him back.

Those ramps, or shutes they lower are huge. Like a gigantic slide. And the train cars on top of the thing look tiny compared to everything else.

·
Home Sweet Homicide
3,685 Posts
Hopefully we can catch one being loaded while we are there. I am a fan of the freighters.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts