Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Tap Tap Splat
15,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...lightening hits a crane?

cause I'm pretty sure it just happened right near me. I live right near I94 where they are widening it through Kzoo. theres a big blue crane near i94 and 12th street that I'm pretty sure just got hit. I was standing on my porch watching this storm come in, and bam, the whole thing lit right up. I wonder what that will cost?

·
GLFWDA member
2,674 Posts
ive been watching the lighting all night. im not sure if its heat lighting or not. i havent seen any other weather, but the lightning has sure been cool

·
Premium Member
9,000 Posts
Yeah... I left the windows down in my truck... ran outside in boxers and got soaked putting them up.

Also brian is re-roofing his house and we just have tar paper up on one side... not super great for torrential downpours.

·
CRANES ARE COOL
686 Posts
Mikecraneguy should know.
If it is the blue crawler crane working on the e-way he should be ok, the older cranes do not have much electronics in them to get cooked, having metal cat treads he has a good ground, we have trouble on the cranes that have computers in them when they get hit. They are like big lightning rods, I have seen rubber tired cranes with tires blown or cooked. We have a tower crane working in Holland app. 250 ft. in air it has lightning protection package on it but can still get whacked. got two working in otsego one in spring harbor and two others in covert hope they are all o.k. When we know they have been hit need to check all the wire ropes and cables you never really know where the lighting goes thru them, with luck the crane is grounded well enough and the lighting just knocks the rust and dirt off:sonicjay:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Hey Mike, how big is your crane that is working here in Ann Arbor over across from U of M hospital? I've seen a couple of yours in town, but that one looks huge.

·
CRANES ARE COOL
686 Posts
Hey Mike, how big is your crane that is working here in Ann Arbor over across from U of M hospital? I've seen a couple of yours in town, but that one looks huge.
the red and white linkbelt crawler crane with the straight boom is a 200 ton crawler there is a 2nd 200 tonner in town but that one has a luffing attachment in it. also we have a 250 tonner with luffer working in town. Maybe you are seeing the 360 ton liebherr all terrain putting up a big towercrane. Ann arbor has been busy:sonicjay: :sonicjay:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts