Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Project Antitube
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has been badgering me for a decade about getting a pool. What can you tell me about them? I don't think I can get away with smaller than 14'x42". I don't know anything about them, other than I don't want one.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,081 Posts
Invest in a good filter, sand filter is fine but over size the shit out of it. Much like anything it's all about the prep work. If you're gonna go cheap on the pool then invest in a deck to go around a portion of it, the constant climbing on the walls is what wrecks em quick

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
Project Antitube
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems that there is a cheap pool shortage because a lot of them are made in Texas. I guess I may impulse buy and deal with a better filter later.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
With public pools closed last year because of covid there was a rush on anything having to do with pools, even kiddy pools. Hopefully they have made more for this year.
My daughter said she couldn't find even a kids pool for my grandson to play in. My wife looked on costco website and found a few that they had in stock. Ordered and shipped to their door in a few days. Mt daughter called me up and said that a kiddy pool showed up at her house. Told her we found one for them to enjoy the hot summer days.

·
Project Antitube
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I impulse purchased a 24'x52" Polygroup. The basket weave look is kind of neat. Matches some of my holsters...

I already regret saying "yes to the mess". I got out the transit for shits and giggles and I have a lot of work to do to make it level.

The one I got takes a paper filter so now I'm going to research sand ones. I wonder if you can easily run two filters...

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,081 Posts
Look up how to videos on YouTube, it's not that bad. Two filters might be overkill. Buy an extra filter and have one you use and one you clean and dry, then setup a schedule to switch them frequently.

Find someplace locally that tests water, you can take in samples and they'll tell you exactly what you need to do to it.

Lastly, solar covers work!

·
Skymaster
2,528 Posts
Solar covers definitely work. I can get my 10k gallon in ground over 90* in the summer. They will burn out the chlorine quicker though. If you raise the chlorine level with tabs that raises cyanuric acid levels which are hard to bring back down. Use liquid chlorine to raise the numbers in this case

·
Yooper In Training
7,196 Posts
Solar covers definitely work. I can get my 10k gallon in ground over 90* in the summer. They will burn out the chlorine quicker though. If you raise the chlorine level with tabs that raises cyanuric acid levels which are hard to bring back down. Use liquid chlorine to raise the numbers in this case
Yep all of this.

I have to stop using the solar cover in the hot middle part of summer or the pool becomes a hot tub. Not very refreshing at that point. Left it on the pool last year when we were camping for a week in late June/early July and it got way warmer than I'd prefer.

I've heard nothing but horror stories about how much paper filters suck. I'm happy with my sand filter.

·
Project Antitube
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I believe it is this one going by the picture on the box:

I don't know how much the box weighs, but it took pretty much all I could muster to lift it into the back of my truck. I had the brilliant idea of trying to lower it onto some car dollies so I could move it around when it was on the floor and I nearly impaled myself on some truck parts I had on the floor trying to do that. I don't want to open it until I'm ready to set it up because I assume it's packed in there like origami.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,081 Posts
That is WOEFULLY small for that size pool. You'll be chasing water clarity non stop as it isn't going to filter near the amount of water you need it to.

You'll want at least a 1hp pump and around a 250-300lb sand filter.

·
Registered
712 Posts
If you want water so clean it actually sparkles look at a Diatomaceous Earth precoat filter. I'm not up to speed on all the DE filter choices in the pool filter world, but I believe Hayward still sells the PerFlex pool filter. The big water parks use DE filters, such as those from Defender and Filtrex.

We had a small pool about 10' diameter iirc that came with the paper element filter. It sucked. I used DE to precoat the paper element, but that reduced the effective surface area making the filter even more undersized and useless for vacuuming. Every once in a while I'd bring home the small industrial demo DE filter and really clean the pool up. Once the kids were old enough to stop using the pool we took it down for good.

If you have a choice of filter pumps then compare the different pumps' efficiencies. Often spending a bit more for a more efficient pump will pay off over the long run when you figure how many hours the pump will be running times the cost of electricity. But be careful to look at the pumps' duty points as the most efficient pump flowing too fast or too slow may be more inefficient than a less efficient pump running in its sweet spot.

Pools are great as long as you aren't the one who has to maintain them, lol.

·
Yooper In Training
7,196 Posts
Aside from some mild algae issues late last summer my pool has been pretty low maintenance, aside from the massive excavation project to make a level pad for it then building a deck around it. :LOL: But the pool itself has been pretty easy. Oversized pump and sand filter on mine. General filtration is pretty good, but the vacuum I have kinda sucks. Just a $20 Meijer special.

·
Project Antitube
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm still digging the goddamn hole by hand. Kind of wish I'd gotten a smaller pool. I spent a solid half an hour trying to remember how to use the transit. I found yet more remnants of the burned down barn... where half my pool is going to go so digging up random shit is taking forever. Going to end up having to use a lot more mason sand than I thought to keep things from poking through. Was only planning on minimal sand so as to keep the vermin from living under the pool. I have a lot of animal pressure and while digging the hole (9" deep on one end, 2" above grade on other end) I found lots of habitrails from moles and chipmunks.

I was thinking about putting EPDM rubber roofing under it. Seem reasonable? I assume disturbing the dirt like this is going to cause all the stuff to move around. The dirt is full of anything you'd find in a very large barn from pipe to pig bones. The pool pads I see online looks like riprap fabric.

I've spent endless hours researching pool filters and pumps per your guys' suggestions. I'm currently leaning towards a 1.5hp 2-speed pump and a 50sqft DE filter. If my math is right, I can run it all night on low speed without worrying about needing to bump the filter. Plus it seems with DE I'd need less chlorine so maybe I could actually use it. It also seems like since you waste less water it'd be easier to keep acidity in line.

I was a jerk and bought a bunch of chlorine and chemicals two Fridays ago. I noticed yesterday the Menards had nothing on the shelves, including hydrochloric acid. I must not be the only person getting a pool for the first time.

·
Red Dragons!
1,997 Posts
They have been airing news stories about a chlorine shortage this year. I just stocked up for the swim spa too.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
I hard the same about pool chlorine shortages. Have you given any thought to a salt water pool instead of chlorine?

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,081 Posts
I hard the same about pool chlorine shortages. Have you given any thought to a salt water pool instead of chlorine?
That's a pretty significant price difference, I would also be willing to bet the pool he purchased is not rated for it. I most commonly see salt water systems on in ground pools rather than inexpensive above grounds

·
Project Antitube
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My limited experience with a "salt" water pool is they are just an electrolytic converter that takes salt to make chlorine from it and dissolves it in the water. So it runs when your pump does to keep the PPM consistent so in theory you don't need to spike the chlorine content to combat the bad stuff before the sun makes the chlorine go away. So a little salt, a little chlorine, and life is good. But the converter for a pool this size is like $900. And it takes power to run. The liners are the same, you just need fasteners that can deal with galvanic corrosion. Which you have in a regular pool if the pH gets out of whack anyway. It's not like a "salt" water pool is all that salty, it's still like 1/10th of the ocean.

I ordered a Hayward 1.5hp 2 speed pump and their 50cfm DE filter. Hopefully it's good enough. Keep the cartridge filter/pump for a spare in case these ones shit the bed.

I'm still hoping she will decide not to put it back up next year. So I don't want to invest too much time/money on it. More of an emphasis on time than money.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts