Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
WantaXJ now
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided a bronco was too expensive... im lookin for my first car and got very intrested in XJs..... Just wondered what I should know... seems like this site was founded on jeeps so im sure you guys know what your talkin about... just lookin for info you get from experience not what you read on wikipedia... Thanks for any help

-Drew

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
The heads crack in the middle. 00-01 had LP front axles and COP ignition too.
97-98 is the best bet if you like that body style. I hate 97+ so 96 is My favorite followed by renix.

·
Grace &/or Derek's Dad
63 Posts
96 was last of the original AMC design. Chrysler refreshed it for 97.

Ideally find one that is stock. There are enough of those out there in soccermom land. Just like any used car, look underneath for rust, leaks, damage. Check the tires for odd wear. Above the windshield is notorious for rust & leaks. Check the headliner and floor for wetness.

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Unibody stiffening, obd II, dedicated tcu, possibility of 29 sp 8.25 very late, better brake booster like 97+, etc. Im on my phone or would list more.

Get one without abs whatever you do...

·
SLAYER!!
553 Posts
I recommend '92-'95 verry simple and utilitarian. '96 I personally thing are gay(no offence) since they swapped in a sundance steering column and wheel, but left the rest of the interior, so it looks oout of place to me.

Second would be '97-'99(early as defiance said)

Buy one that is as as stock as you can and inspect them well, alot of people feel that since they have a reputation for being reliable and quite tough they can ignore regular maintenance.

Also if you plan on building it try and find one out of MI or that hasn't been here its whole life, they really like to rust.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I recommend '92-'95 verry simple and utilitarian. '96 I personally thing are gay(no offence) since they swapped in a sundance steering column and wheel, but left the rest of the interior, so it looks oout of place to me.

Second would be '97-'99(early as defiance said)

Buy one that is as as stock as you can and inspect them well, alot of people feel that since they have a reputation for being reliable and quite tough they can ignore regular maintenance.

Also if you plan on building it try and find one out of MI or that hasn't been here its whole life, they really like to rust.
my steering wheel on my 96 is the same as my buddy's 93.

I third the 96.

Ive had a 01, two 96's and a 88

·
hoo dat. wat.
21,594 Posts
I can't tell anyone that uses "u" instead of "you" in a sentence, in general, anything.

·
Premium Member
3,224 Posts
Wtf? You need to re read that... I was agreeing that was the wheel they came with.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts