1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
13,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Hang all the thieves
1,731 Posts
If you find the right site, you might be able to find old aerial views of your area online. A friend of mine found some for the area I'm in, showing my place 30-35 years ago. If you're lucky, you mighr get a pic of whatever it was.

·
Gustafson
9,874 Posts
I second what was said by Plato. It looks like a base for a tower or something that used to be there.

When was your house built? It seems strange that it's so close to it.

·
Yooper In Training
7,196 Posts
Little known fact, the Mackinaw Bridge used to be about 300 miles long and these were some of the original footings. They're a historical landmark, please don't remove them.

Reactions: Jrgunn5150

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,623 Posts
Little known fact, the Mackinaw Bridge used to be about 300 miles long and these were some of the original footings. They're a historical landmark, please don't remove them.
I remember reading that in a national geographic back in school.

Those things are supposed to be worth money too

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
13,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you find the right site, you might be able to find old aerial views of your area online. A friend of mine found some for the area I'm in, showing my place 30-35 years ago. If you're lucky, you mighr get a pic of whatever it was.
I tried that. Found pics all the way back to 1960, none are good enough to tell.
Looks like an old amateur radio base. Are the three legs equidistant?
Nope, short ones are in a line, tall one I slightly N of the others, middle one is 15' from one, and 60' from the other.
😆

I'm starting to think radio tower, but why 3.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,092 Posts
I tried that. Found pics all the way back to 1960, none are good enough to tell.

Nope, short ones are in a line, tall one I slightly N of the others, middle one is 15' from one, and 60' from the other.

😆

I'm starting to think radio tower, but why 3.
Possible there were more but that the others were removed already. Butthat'ss way bigger than any amatuer tower I've ever seen.

·
Project Antitube
958 Posts
I guess what is the layout? The only other thing I can think of is for a grain elevator. They're not massive enough/anchored to be for a real tower.

·
2002 Chevy S-10 PU ZR2
96 Posts
At only 8 inches deep in the ground, these are not radio tower bases.

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,092 Posts
At only 8 inches deep in the ground, these are not radio tower bases.
Ooops, I read that as 8 feet. You're right, not deep enough for a really big tower. 8 inches does not even get you past the frost line. I have no idea what would that massive, but only 8 inches into the ground.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts