Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
was moving from the toyota section to the j-body section...
stepped in the wrong hole.

these started chasing us.

i was scared man.

killer cicada wasps...

if anyone needs to go to bud's junkyard in gowen, watch out for these things.
guy behind the counter says they are harmless... i call bullshit.

·
Premium Member
22,634 Posts
actually hes right they are harmless....

i have them in my backyard, their everywhere, the neighbor has 4 kids under 10 and they are always out in the yard standing in the middle of them killing them with tennis rackets lol..........they have never been stung

they dissappear at dusk, they individually dig holes just big enough for themselves and hide all nite

i've had them two years in a row in my backyard, DEF intimidating little bastards however

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
They're called Cicada Killers, not killer cicadas.

The name stems from the fact that they eat those noisy bugs outside you window called cicadas.

They are a solitary wasp which means they do not have a hive, but rather a single male/female breeding pair and a small nest inside the ground. It is easy to find their holes as they kick out a lot of dirt as the burrow in.

And yes, they are for the most part harmless, although scary looking especially if you see the wingspan. We had them at our old house. I would mow the lawn near their homes and they would come out and buzz around me but I never once got stung. They really are no more harmfull than a dragon fly, but I suppose people are afraid of those too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
They're called Cicada Killers, not killer cicadas.

The name stems from the fact that they eat those noisy bugs outside you window called cicadas.

They are a solitary wasp which means they do not have a hive, but rather a single male/female breeding pair and a small nest inside the ground. It is easy to find their holes as they kick out a lot of dirt as the burrow in.

And yes, they are for the most part harmless, although scary looking especially if you see the wingspan. We had them at our old house. I would mow the lawn near their homes and they would come out and buzz around me but I never once got stung. They really are no more harmfull than a dragon fly, but I suppose people are afraid of those too.
is that what they are. I had one in my back yard land right next to my kid. i freaked out and stomped the shit out of it. i had know idia what the f it was, i thought it was some kind of wasp, and i sure as hell didnt want it stinging my kid or me

·
I only wheel a boat.
17,274 Posts
I had to look them up. Males can't sting and females usually won't. F-that...those things freak me right the hell out. Glad I have never seen one of those.
I have a shipment on its way to the soo right now:thumb:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts