Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Project Antitube
1,246 Posts
Menards never ran out of shit. All of the treated wood I bought was tagged for early 2020. It was all price gouging along the way. Their "custom" deck boards they call thickdeck never really changed in price, yet 2x12x12 went up to $80.

Wire is the same way. Every time I went to Menards in Scio Township I'd take picture of the 12/2 section and the pallets on the back wall behind the paint section. Price. Fucking. Gouging.

bLowes was just as bad. They'd pricematch Menards. Hoe Despot... they weren't as bad but I technically have nothing to go there for except Leviton.

The high cost of labor and the high cost of materials has worked out in my favor for the tree that fell on my garage. I'm thinking about buying shingles now and let them sit on the pallets because shingles are cheaper now than they have been in the last 20 years of me buying shingles.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
So I had about an hour to kill last night and with lumber prices starting to drop I jumped on Lou and removed some topsoil from my building footprint. I am starting to get one hell of a pile of overburden stacked up in the woods.

·
Yooper In Training
7,570 Posts
I thought you already brought in a bunch of truckloads of gravel and sand for the base? Or was that a different outbuilding?

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I thought you already brought in a bunch of truckloads of gravel and sand for the base? Or was that a different outbuilding?
This will be an attached garage 30x68 with a 10x10 mud room
Yes the barn site is all set, 30X80 of sand and now gravel, also weighting for lumber prices to drop, before I pull the trigger on that one.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Getting closer and closer I am thinking when it hits 25k, I will order unless it is still going down I would love to see it around 20, but I am not setting out another season hoping for that.

·
Life=Short. Jeeps=Cool
4,540 Posts
What're y'all getting for cement quotes? Possibly buying a house with a 30x64 with dirt floors. Want to finish the inside and put an apron on out front

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,953 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the progress. I am gonna try to pour myself a pad for washing vehicles etc.. Same thing, can not believe what people charge for that stuff....

·
Fucking Zen as Shit
16,161 Posts
Awesome! I love the updates.

So glad material prices are dropping, i've got a good 8 projects around here i've had spinning, waiting for prices to come back to some sanity.

·
Yooper In Training
7,570 Posts
I did another price check on barn supplies this weekend. Lumber is now even lower than when I started shopping back in November, but barn prices are still pretty high. I assume because the steel market is still insane.
Menard's kit price references for the same barn design:
Nov 2020: $14705
May 2021: $21334
Sept 2021: $18838

So even though lumber prices are lower in Sept than they were in Nov, the barn price is still $4k higher. That's pretty crazy just for the steel but I guess it's not out of the realm of possibility, especially since it includes doors, windows, hardware, etc. Some of our suppliers at work were in the $.40/lb ballpark mid last year for steel sheet and they're now $1.30-1.40. Did some reading last night and they're predicting steel prices will begin to drop later this year, but since there's basically a duopoly on the US steel market there's not much incentive for them to increase capacity to meet supply. At least not as long as everyone keeps buying at these prices. I sure as hell hope it improves soon so I can build come spring.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Come hell or high water, this thing will get built, I don't know exactly when but when it does, I will not be using $45 OSB as I locked this load down for $14 a sheet. I also have 180 2x6x12's on there way, I was planning on ordering a kit for this garage but am finding a lot better prices buy piecemealing this thing together.

Vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Bumper

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Well last night was round 2 of loading the trailer to the top, this time it was a lot more hand work sorting through piles of shitty boards to find the better ones.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Truck Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Wood Truck

61 - 80 of 116 Posts