Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Yooper In Training
7,432 Posts
EDIT:

I deleted what I wrote initially; it was neither the place for it nor something that hasn't been already said.

Back to the actual topic:

I don't see timber pricing going down anytime soon. It's making people too much money. Even with the cost of materials double what they were 2 years ago; new buildings have gone up by a factor of 10 in the last year. Pricing seems to have had the opposite effect you'd think it would have.
Because so many people have the money to burn right now. People get a $1400 stimulus and start spending like they're getting it every month. More people working from home both short and long term frees up lots of money formerly spent on fuel and eating out. Less extravagant vacations, more home improvements. People like me who don't want to deal with the insane housing market, so they take advantage of low interest rates and refinance for home improvements. Demand will stay sky high, but hopefully supply improves quickly to help the situation some. I'd be happy if the housing bubble popped to drop demand back down to help further, but we'll see. I'll sit on the money for now, I'm not desperate to get it up at double or triple the normal price like so many other people seem to be. I doubt numbers will come back down to 2019 levels again, but even mid 2020 pricing would be night and day from where it's at now. We'll see.

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
EDIT:

I deleted what I wrote initially; it was neither the place for it nor something that hasn't been already said.

Back to the actual topic:

I don't see timber pricing going down anytime soon. It's making people too much money. Even with the cost of materials double what they were 2 years ago; new buildings have gone up by a factor of 10 in the last year. Pricing seems to have had the opposite effect you'd think it would have.
You got that right. Crazy prices but people continue to buy and build.

·
Project Antitube
1,079 Posts
I just paid (like at 9:30) $12.99 for 2x4x8 treated at Menards that on Monday were $10.99. I used to piss and moan when they were $5.99. BCX plywood in 1/2 is marginally cheaper than 5/8"... and both of them are double 6 weeks ago... which was 50% more than 6 months ago. I buy a lot of BCX.

Sheets of treated plywood... 3/4 is cheaper than 1/2" and both are double what they used to be. Might as well get marine grade now as it is "not that much more".

10/3 UF cable was cheaper than 12/2 NM-B for a 250' spool.

There is grotesque profiteering going on right now.

This insanity is causing me to re-think my normal plans for this time of year even more than original.

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,802 Posts
Damn. If I get my truck back from the shop today I should go grab some treated deck boards before they jump again.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Lumber Futures are starting to drop as consumers are saying F it I don't want it that bad, now it will take some time before we see it at the store but I think things will fix themselves in time. I don't see 99 cent 2x4s anytime in the future but 8 dollar 2x4s is ridiculous.

·
Yooper In Training
7,432 Posts
Yep, saw that last week. Thank God! Doubt we'll ever see 2019 prices again but something's gotta give. Hopefully steel won't be far behind, I want my pole barn.

Reactions: Shotgun

·
Gustafson
10,187 Posts
My wife and I were entertaining the idea of building a new house, but not with construction material prices the way they are. Glad to see things might start becoming more reasonable again.

·
Project Antitube
1,079 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to go to Menards tonight and get price adjustments on all the lumber I've bought in the last 12 days. Should come back with about $300 in my pocket. Some of the shit halved in price between Saturday and Sunday.

·
Yooper In Training
7,432 Posts
things are starting to move !!!!

View attachment 279794
Long way to go still, but glad to see progress! It'd be down even more if it weren't for steel prices doing the same thing so far this year that lumber did last fall. It's ugly, but way less people directly deal with it on a day to say basis so it's not talked about as much.

·
Yooper In Training
7,432 Posts
Woohoo!

·
3,802 Posts
Am I the only one going to Menards and seeing a over packed wood lot? The last time I was there they had a full crib and like 10 trucks of wood just stacked in the open.

·
Yooper In Training
7,432 Posts
Am I the only one going to Menards and seeing a over packed wood lot? The last time I was there they had a full crib and like 10 trucks of wood just stacked in the open.
Good, a lumber surplus is exactly what we need to keep prices coming down. Hopefully the same happens soon with steel after big companies start receiving the raw material orders they double and tripled down on to make sure they don't run out.

·
3,802 Posts
Good, a lumber surplus is exactly what we need to keep prices coming down. Hopefully the same happens soon with steel after big companies start receiving the raw material orders they double and tripled down on to make sure they don't run out.
Yea I need the steel availability to go up. We got shortages for everything except plywood at this point.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts