Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Sore and Tired 24/7
13,067 Posts
I priced a metal building and having it insulated like 4 months ago, waiting on proof I own my house with no money owed so I can get a loan to build it. I am scared to see what the prices are once I get the loan done.

·
I only wheel a boat.
17,274 Posts
I have a 40x64 polebarn designed that was 26k this time last year which is now 46k. Yep it's on hold, cash can sit in the bank or I can pull a few hundy out to play the crypto game and make a few bucks to add into it when it comes time. Even a simple 30x40 is 30 Gees now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
I have a 40x64 polebarn designed that was 26k this time last year which is now 46k. Yep it's on hold, cash can sit in the bank or I can pull a few hundy out to play the crypto game and make a few bucks to add into it when it comes time. Even a simple 30x40 is 30 Gees now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Almost doubled. That's crazy

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,802 Posts
I assuming this is a post frame pole barn? How you going to treat your posts? I need to figure that out. Wood means nothing to me as I got plenty costing me only sweat equity. I just don't know how I'm going to treat "raw wood" that would go below grade. Purlins are fine they can be raw for all I care.

·
Yooper In Training
7,432 Posts
I assuming this is a post frame pole barn? How you going to treat your posts? I need to figure that out. Wood means nothing to me as I got plenty costing me only sweat equity. I just don't know how I'm going to treat "raw wood" that would go below grade. Purlins are fine they can be raw for all I care.
Could always go the route of short treated posts to just above grade, then transition to untreated laminated columns from there. I've seen that in some cases, usually for clearspan stuff, but I think @JohnnyJ said that's how his pole barn was done. You'd still need to buy treated posts, but the length/qty would be drastically reduced.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
My ground is so acidic wood will rot off in no time I will do concrete columns with some homemade brackets on top just like this.

·
3,802 Posts
FWIW get some blocks or cribbing and set the platform about 24-30" off the ground. we have one of these and it makes it less of a bear when you're dealing with smaller logs. You have a tractor so loading isn't a thing.
I'll see if I can get pictures of the setup tonight.

·
3,802 Posts
Oh and buy a box of blades, well worth the cost when you're in the middle of a job and you hit one of your uprights. ask me how I know.

·
Old School
33,042 Posts
I'm going with a quonset type steel building with vertical walls. Right now, way cheaper than wood and has a 40 year warranty against rust.
I'm 60, so the warranty expiring will be the next guy's problem.

·
Yooper In Training
7,432 Posts
I was talking to a guy yesterday whose nephew is a barn builder. He said prices to put up a barn went from $11/sq ft early last year to $36/sq ft now. Freakin crazy. I'm definitely waiting.

·
Gustafson
10,187 Posts
That is crazy. I'm thinking it will only go up higher with the way inflation is going.
The price if everything is going up...

Guess we had it too good for too long....

·
Registered
9,572 Posts
The price if everything is going up... Guess we had it too good for too long....
The price if everything is going up... Guess we had it too good for too long....
The price if everything is going up...

Guess we had it too good for too long....
Inflation has not went up this fast since 2008. Tells us something about what is coming. I'm thinking we might be in for a serious market correction along with super inflation. We had a correction in 08/09 and the market tanked but we didn't have a rise in inflation lie what's happening now.
We were warned that if Biden got into office this would happen.
Biden said he would not raise taxes on anyone earning under 400k. What about the hidden tax that will effect everybody even the ones that pay no taxes at all. Inflation is a hidden tax.
Trump was good for America and the world and it is beginning to show. Unrest in the mid east and the stock market here looking shaky

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,883 Posts
Inflation has not went up this fast since 2008. Tells us something about what is coming. I'm thinking we might be in for a serious market correction along with super inflation. We had a correction in 08/09 and the market tanked but we didn't have a rise in inflation lie what's happening now.
We were warned that if Biden got into office this would happen.
Biden said he would not raise taxes on anyone earning under 400k. What about the hidden tax that will effect everybody even the ones that pay no taxes at all. Inflation is a hidden tax.
Trump was good for America and the world and it is beginning to show. Unrest in the mid east and the stock market here looking shaky
Definitely all Biden's fault.

Totally not like there was a 1 year+ long global spanning pandemic that wiped out the entire global trade and virtually halted production of export goods.....

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,883 Posts
After a down turn in the economy there is always a huge up turn. With the right policies in place
EDIT:

I deleted what I wrote initially; it was neither the place for it nor something that hasn't been already said.

Back to the actual topic:

I don't see timber pricing going down anytime soon. It's making people too much money. Even with the cost of materials double what they were 2 years ago; new buildings have gone up by a factor of 10 in the last year. Pricing seems to have had the opposite effect you'd think it would have.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts