Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Looks like I will be Pouring a floor and doing my site grading this year, only to enjoy my invisible walls and roof this winter. notice the dates at the top of the photos

RBB

·
Yooper In Training
7,428 Posts
Yep that's why my plan is on hold for the time being. I still want to get ahold of some builders to get lined up for early next year, but I'm sure as hell not desperate enough to pay that kind of difference.

·
Yooper In Training
7,428 Posts
Here's the best comparison I have. I don't plan to buy from Menard's, but it's a decent basis for comparison.

Nov 21, 2020 (material prices already up 40% or more from the norm)

Same barn, May 3, 2021.

Just shy of $7k in materials(before 11%, $6k after 11%) for a pretty basic barn, and the first quote was already very inflated prices. Yeah, I think I'll hold off.

·
Yooper In Training
7,428 Posts
Not sure if I'm profoundly jealous of Bob's toy budget or terrified of his debt-to-income ratio. Either way, lots of cool shit rolling into that homestead.

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure if I'm profoundly jealous of Bob's toy budget or terrified of his debt-to-income ratio. Either way, lots of cool shit rolling into that homestead.

The farm is the only note I owe on, everything I own is bought with cash. I just about lost my ass back in 08 as I had maxed my cards out had payments up the ass on a ton of stupid shit and lost my job. It took some creative financing and a ton of hard work to get back on track. But we said never again, we keep a nest-egg set aside and save for large purchases.

·
Yooper In Training
7,428 Posts
The farm is the only note I owe on, everything I own is bought with cash. I just about lost my ass back in 08 as I had maxed my cards out had payments up the ass on a ton of stupid shit and lost my job. It took some creative financing and a ton of hard work to get back on track. But we said never again, we keep a nest-egg set aside and save for large purchases.
Smart man! Looks like it's option a for me then, jealousy. 🤣 Not that I'm in a terrible or overly risky financial situation, but my toy budget is certainly more limited.

Reactions: Skooter_Built

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Smart man! Looks like it's option a for me then, jealousy. 🤣 Not that I'm in a terrible or overly risky financial situation, but my toy budget is certainly more limited.

It has not been easy but the finance department keeps me on track, Three big things have happened in the last few years that have played a large roll in our budget. One I am still running my 04 Ram I have not had a payment on it in 13 years, I have put a ton of parts in it but not a monthly payment. Two the kids got old enough to go to school and the wife picked up a part time job working from home. Three we sold our starter home last July, we had it paid off and were saving to put an addition on it when the farm came available 3 years ago so we held the little house while we renovated the farm.

RBB

1 - 20 of 74 Posts