Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Dopey
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where does everyone get their oxygen and acetlyn tanks from? I'm looking at getting a set and so far I like the TSC one, mostly because they are open on weekends, open till 8 and they have stores all over the place.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
Don't buy them yourself. Lease them from the welding supply/gas business you will be getting them filled at. A lot of places won't accept tanks that are not their own (TSC included). Unless you're going to get teeny ones, all the things you mentioned about TSC won't really matter as you won't be draining them frequently at all.

What size are you considering?

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,873 Posts
We bought a set of biiiig tanks and havn't had a problem with them getting filled. I guess were just lucky.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
We bought a set of biiiig tanks and havn't had a problem with them getting filled. I guess were just lucky.
Well, I'm guessing you don't have a lease and go to a place that will fill tanks that don't belong to them? I go to Flint Welding Supply. If you're in the Flint area, that's whom I would recommend.

The lease itself is only a few dollars a year and you don't have to buy tanks. I made that mistake when buying my portable set and got a kit at Home Depot that was complete with tanks. Places would fill them, but not on the spot and I didn't have time to keep dropping them off and come back the next day. That's what drove me to lease a big set.

The other nice thing about leasing tanks is that you don't even have to wait around for them to be filled. You just swap them like a propane tank for your BBQ. TSC does this for the smaller sizes, but I found them to be a rip-off. Not only was the gas more expensive, but they wanted to charge me an "upgrade fee" per tank.

It also relieves you of having to get your tanks recertified, which people usually run into when getting used ones. Filling non-certified or expired tanks is illegal and a lot of suppliers won't touch personally-owned tanks just so they don't have to deal with the possibility of it happening.

·
Premium Member
14,639 Posts
Please do not argue with Pavementpounder.
In fact, please pm him before making a post to make sure he approves of it.

Thank you

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
Please do not argue with Pavementpounder.
In fact, please pm him before making a post to make sure he approves of it.

Thank you
What do you do, search on certain screen names to find posts to try to make fun of?

Lord knows you have no other reason to be posting anything other than a newbie question in a tech forum....

·
Premium Member
14,639 Posts
What do you do, search on certain screen names to find posts to try to make fun of?

Lord knows you have no other reason to be posting anything other than a newbie question in a tech forum....
No, I have been reading a lot of pirate lately. I figure I can search there and do some cut & pastes just like you :thumb:

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,873 Posts
PavementPounder;739022... A lot of places won't accept tanks that are not their own (TSC included)......[/QUOTE said:
I thought you were saying this towards owning your own set.

We ran into an issue when trying to fill our welding tank at another place with the tank being from another welding supply.

Make sure you get a good set of valves and also a spark arrestor (SP? and i think thats what its called?) so you don't back feed into the tank and cause them to blow up.

·
I am the law.
29,823 Posts
I thought you were saying this towards owning your own set.
I am. Everybody has their own policy. Some won't fill other shops, some will but not personal tanks, some people will do whatever.

Some people fall into deals on big tanks not knowing that it can be a pain in the ass getting them filled. I've run into the same deal with Flint Welding's tanks outside their operating hours like you've mentioned with shops refusing to fill them. Lessors in Burton did it for me a couple times when I was in a jam on the little ones before I leased my big tanks. Flint Welding will fill personal tanks, but I was told they had to be left there. I ended up giving them the new small tanks that came with my kit in exchange for a lease, some credit for fills, and some misc stuff like a wire brush and nozzle file.

Dirtrider's intended use will make a big difference in what works best for him. If he wants small tanks that he's going to transport a lot, TSC may not be a bad idea based on convienence (locations/hours). I wouldn't suggest that for bigger tanks, though.

Call around to see who will fill what before spending any money and check to make sure any tanks you buy at least have decent time left on their certification. :thumb:

5,476 Posts
i own mine, but air gas just swaps it out whenever i bring it in. it even says "boc gas" on the side of the tank which I believe was the places old name before air gas bought them up.

get a decent size like a 180cf or something.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,873 Posts
ah gotcha PP.

while the small tanks are nice, you'll use up most of the oxy trying to set the correct mixture to cut.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
DIrtrider is considering geting small tanks like the hf ones because they are easy to transport.

how long do they typically last....like 5 minutes or long enough to cut an axle out of a truck?

He is also thinking about getting a slightly larger set of tanks from what I understand.

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,455 Posts
I used to cut apart CJ's with small tanks. I didn't do it on a single fill, but I don't know why people blow through them so fast.
x2
I've got a small set & have never had a problem running out quickly. I am not doing major jobs, just using it to make small brackets, etc. But if you know what pressures you want, it takes just seconds to dial it in.

For my needs, the small tanks are nice. I bought from TSC for the reasons listed above. I can take them with me on trips for repairs & don't have to worry about where to get a replacement.

·
Bird is my bitch
1,406 Posts
I used to cut apart CJ's with small tanks. I didn't do it on a single fill, but I don't know why people blow through them so fast.
I know why, it is because alot of people don't know how to properly use a torch. I see people all the time with the torch screaming to cut some 1/4" plate and end up having to beat the shit apart because they welded everything back together as they were cutting.

·
Bike Dude
2,103 Posts
We own ours and don't have a problem... but big tanks do suck to move. However with them and the amount of use they get we don't fill them often.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts