Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Old Hippie
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went to the mounds sat and my trans got thirsty. Test drove it yesterday after new brakes,{Didn't know about the water}went 10 miles pull in the drive,parked and was looking at it because things didn't feel right. Then the trans pucked nasty oil right out the the front seal! It is a 90 yj with a 6 cyl, auto. What trans should be in it? Are they a good trans? Any thing I should ask the trans shop when I have it rebuilt? Thanks

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,620 Posts
I think a 90 would have a tf999. The tranny vent is just behind the torque converter on these tranny's (makes it real easy to ingest water). I suggest getting your next tranny modified to have a vent line installed (alot of info on here, try a search). I ran a vent line to the top of my fire wall.

fyi I have a good working tf999 for sale right now much cheeper than a rebuild.

·
F-U-CANCER!!!
5,620 Posts
Just South of Silver Lake sand dunes. Pokerob is prob laughing cuz everyone suggests using mapquest. Know anyone vacationing over here this weekend?

·
Old Hippie
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No Everbody is coming to my house cuz its Bean Fest Weekend, All the Bean Soup You Can Eat!!!!! Back to my trans, It will cost 800 to rebuild my trans, and they don't know how to add a vent so the hole in the front pump won't be a problem again. So any ideas?

·
meh.
7,816 Posts
No Everbody is coming to my house cuz its Bean Fest Weekend, All the Bean Soup You Can Eat!!!!! Back to my trans, It will cost 800 to rebuild my trans, and they don't know how to add a vent so the hole in the front pump won't be a problem again. So any ideas?
Buy a good working used trans for a fraction of that price, search around here and you will find how to mod/add the vent tube.

·
In Da Faaaaaace!!!
1988 YJ
5,873 Posts
Yeaaaah i to learned the hardway that the stock vent lines are shit! I have a tf727 out of a dodge... the 999 is just smaller but same designe as the 727. I went through a water hole at silver lake and it got fluded with water. So i had to rebuild it.

Killerb told me to plug the stock vent with a NPT plug. Just tap it and put some sealer on it. Than drill a hole in the center rite aboce the front band. Than put a nipple on it and seal it. Mount the hose to the firewall high up. Problem solved :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts