Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Support the Sport!
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was one of the unfortunate few who lost power for about 13 hours during the last storm and it caused my basement to flood with around 2 feet of water. Ruined lots of useless crap and also some important crap too. Anyway, I'm wanting to install a water powered backup sump pump and am looking for any recommendations. So far I've found prices that range from $130 all the way up to like $500. Figured someone on here must have some experience with them.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Only experience I had was that my dad installed one in our old house when I was still living at home. Yes it works just fine, uses a bunch of water, but who cares when you keep you basement dry!

We lived near a low area, so he installed a backup electric sump on some bricks (I think) to keep it above the main. The water backup he tested monthly and after 6 years it always worked. We had a fully finished basement and I had my bedroom down there, so we wanted it dry.

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
I think they use about 3 gallons for every gallon they pump. My brother had one out in St. Clair Shores.

I like a quality submersible main pump, and a good battery backup secondary pump. Had good luck with that type of setup at our old house. Of course, we were on a well, so a water powered backup didn't make sense anyway.

I like living on a tall sandy hill even better. No more sump pump!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Assuming you are on city water? Guardian water driven sump pumps are top of the line. I have installed tons of them over the years.

You will need an approved back flow preventer on the supply line it will have to be tested and certified by a licensed plumber that is certified in back flow prevention.

Then a test report will have to provided to the water purveyor. This all requires a permit! I wouldn't recommend this to the do it yourselfer.

Guardian pumps use 1 gallon of potable water to remove two gallons of sump water. Very fey pumps a approved to legally be installed in Michigan.

·
Support the Sport!
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Assuming you are on city water? Guardian water driven sump pumps are top of the line. I have installed tons of them over the years.

You will need an approved back flow preventer on the supply line it will have to be tested and certified by a licensed plumber that is certified in back flow prevention.

Then a test report will have to provided to the water purveyor. This all requires a permit! I wouldn't recommend this to the do it yourselfer.

Guardian pumps use 1 gallon of potable water to remove two gallons of sump water. Very fey pumps a approved to legally be installed in Michigan.
That's awesome info, thanks IPLUMB! I'll look into the install cost of one. I have an uncle who is a plumber I might have to call a favor in on....

·
Support the Sport!
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Couldn't you get a cheap genny instead?
problem would be if you werent home to see the power was off. the water powered sumps are automatic
EXACTLY! This is why I want one. We happened to be out of town for several days during the storm and couldn't have turned the generator on thus allowing about 2 foot of water to seep in...

·
Skymaster
2,541 Posts
my dad put one in at our old house after our sump failed, and we had one installed at our new house. the first one we had had a plastic valve that broke so we had to replace it with a brass one, so just make sure the one you get has a brass valve

·
Moonlight stomper
5,958 Posts
my wife works for Coaches catastophy cleaning and they have been on water calls for the last 3 weeks working 80 hrs a week wort one was a 13 story building that on the 8th floor and soaked the ones under it

if you need Insurance work call them they work all of MI

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Be sure installing it that the float doesn't get hung up. I've seen water consumptions of 30,000cf in 3 months with nobody home. Typical water consumption for a family of 4 is 400-500cf per month. In the above example there was no threat of flooding, it was just a case of the float hanging up and the valve "cracking" open, even if they were home they may have never known the water was on.

·
The Green Machine
4,197 Posts
Give rob the plumber a PM, he installed one in my house about 2 years ago, its only been used once, but it worked great when it needed to. He gave me a pretty good price on it including installation.

You need a 3/4" water supply line right to it, I use it occasionally when I have the power off in the house as well for remodelling, always works, just a little slower than the electric one. I think this one pumps out 2 gallons of water for every 1 gallon of supply water it uses.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
IMHO a whole-house generator is the way to go. ours is gas fired, comes on 20 seconds after electricity fails. even if you get a small one, you can at least keep the sump pump, furnace, refrig and garage door opener operating. permit required, professional installation required, MAY need a new gas line feed and you'll have to select which circuit breakers to have hardwired to the 2ndary power supply box but the peace of mind is priceless. pm me is you want any details on our experience.

·
Support the Sport!
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
IMHO a whole-house generator is the way to go. ours is gas fired, comes on 20 seconds after electricity fails. even if you get a small one, you can at least keep the sump pump, furnace, refrig and garage door opener operating. permit required, professional installation required, MAY need a new gas line feed and you'll have to select which circuit breakers to have hardwired to the 2ndary power supply box but the peace of mind is priceless. pm me is you want any details on our experience.
Although that would be awesome, they are a bit spendy for my meager finances.

·
Registered
292 Posts
What happens when your primary pump fails?:sonicjay:

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
What happens when your primary pump fails? same thiing that happens if your water main ruptures due to freezing temps outside thus rendering your water driven pump usless,,,,,you are screwed! :sonicjay:
failure of the primary pump is why you have a 2nd pump installed with different float settings, but, no matter what counter measures you have planned there's always room for FAIL.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.