Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Ultimate Mall Wheeler
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Warn hub kits for the YJ and TJ Dana 30's sell for $1,000+. I'm interested in free-wheeling hubs but I guess it just leaves me wondering why someone would put that much money into a Dana 30 when a 44 can be had for much less? Is there something I'm missing?

TIA

·
Covered in mud...
17,915 Posts
No, you aren't missing anything. Its expensive and mostly unnecessary.

·
YJ now
1,408 Posts
I was really thinking about it when i needed to put new unit bearings in my front axle, because the new bearing are $200+each, but i ended up just getting cheapper bearing asseblies. There are some advantages to having lockouts and a tappered bearing set up, but not worth the price.

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
The Warn hub kits for the YJ and TJ Dana 30's sell for $1,000+. I'm interested in free-wheeling hubs but I guess it just leaves me wondering why someone would put that much money into a Dana 30 when a 44 can be had for much less? Is there something I'm missing?

TIA
Few reasons...

You can't get a 44 with lockouts and keep the same bolt pattern. Then you also run into the fab work needed to install said d44...it's not a bolt in like the hub conversion is.

Unit bearings are of course expensive, but then the lockouts are not exactly super strong.

Lots of people can put a lunchbox locker in. Lots can do the hub conversion but not all of these can do, or want to do, the fab needed for a 44 install.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts