Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a full width 12 bolt rear end with 3.73 gears that have welded spider gears I want to get rid of. I want to go back to a open diff and am looking for a 12 bolt 6 lug bolt pattern, 3.73 gears preferably with the c clip eliminators.

The front axle on my 1982 Jeep CJ-5 is a 10 bolt. If you have a matching axle set the better.

let me know what you got.

·
Hang all the thieves
1,669 Posts
Not sure if you're aware or not, but the 6 lug 14 bolt is a different axle width than the old 12 bolt axles, and is still a c-clip axle since it's built on the light duty 14 bolt with the smaller ring gear.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was not aware of it being a c clip axle. Bummer. What would you recommend as a good replacement? I’m now thinking it would be best to find a matched set and start over.

·
Hang all the thieves
1,669 Posts
Maybe a ford 9"? I've never messed with those, but you'd still need to find something close to match your track width on the front. Even then, I'm not sure what bolt patterns ford offered for the flanges on those axles. If you wanted something that would be a direct replacement, and get rid of the c-clips, a full float 8 lug 14 bolt out of a '73 to '87 chevy 3/4 ton truck would be a bolt in. You could keep your front axle and just switch to the 8 lug 10 bolt hubs to keep all the wheels matching. Going that way would be a bit overkill, and add a bunch of weight from that rear axle. Definitely wouldn't need to worry about breaking it though.

·
Gustafson
9,088 Posts
Maybe a ford 9"? I've never messed with those, but you'd still need to find something close to match your track width on the front. Even then, I'm not sure what bolt patterns ford offered for the flanges on those axles. If you wanted something that would be a direct replacement, and get rid of the c-clips, a full float 8 lug 14 bolt out of a '73 to '87 chevy 3/4 ton truck would be a bolt in. You could keep your front axle and just switch to the 8 lug 10 bolt hubs to keep all the wheels matching. Going that way would be a bit overkill, and add a bunch of weight from that rear axle. Definitely wouldn't need to worry about breaking it though.
This! (y)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting, I like the the suggestion of the 14 bolt rear and keeping the 10 bolt front. Dumb question here, besides buying a complete 10 bolt fro t with 8 lug hubs, where would I buy just the hubs from?

·
Hang all the thieves
1,669 Posts
If it were me, I'd take a field trip to the local pick n pull junkyard. Every now and again, one of the older trucks shows up there. Either that, or check c-list or f-book marketplace for someone parting out these old trucks. I used to have some axles and parts, but sold them awhile ago. On the plus side, the 10 bolt front stuff usually goes for reasonable prices, as they're not nearly as sought after as the d60 fronts.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a Dana 44 currently under a 1978 GMC K25 (3/4-ton 8 lug) with 3.73 gears I will be pulling soon to replace with a Dana 60, picking up the 60 this weekend. If interested, PM me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts