Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Flaming Misenthrope
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife & I volunteered at a food bank today. It was a huge eye opener in human nature, both the people waiting for food and the volunteers. The volunteers were to arive an hour before the food bank opened. We got there about 10 minutes early, but there were already more people waiting for free food then there were volunteers. And then the truck was an hour late. We still had to unload 19,000 LBS of food and sort it all before we could distribute it.
I would never believe the kind of people that would wait out in the sun for 3 hours for free food. Each family that came thru got 2 large boxes of food. All the all the people who volunteered were to get their boxes set aside from the start. It was baking out in the sun. After the line was 2/3rd done I had to take a break. We noticed that there was one older lady volunteer who “volunteered” her family to several boxes of food. Picking out the best of what was to be offered from all the boxes. Rather disgusting, Especially when we got home and our box was light a few items.
My job was “Obamaized” and I do look for things on the cheep. I thought hey I am unemployed, I can do something to help, and everybody has to eat. Some people worked and didn’t take food. All in all it was really enlightening. The world is full all different types of people. There was a bit of odd stuff left over and we made up a box for our neighbor, who really appreciated the food.
FYI a small portion of the food donated was in boxes stamped “donated by WALMART”

·
Registered
11,843 Posts
good to hear there are good people left in the world !! good job man

1 - 2 of 2 Posts