Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
gas, grass, and ass
2,814 Posts
im going to mount my gopro on the dash behind the windshield for reject run. i might bring my second one and mount it lower near the wheel to get a cool shot of something

·
I'm the dude, man
6,969 Posts
I have mounted mine on my roll cage, dash, and on the hood.

I like all of the views for different reasons. Best bet would be to do some experimenting before a run Jim to find out what you like best. Mostly for me it was trial and error. I usually just mount mine on the cowl or the dash. I personally like to see the front of the Jeep and what's in front of me.

·
Im going FAST!!!
3,810 Posts
If mine comes in before we leave Jim, you can run dual"s. One on the cowl looking forward and the other on the dash looking at you, might catch some good oh shit moments. lol

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have mounted mine on my roll cage, dash, and on the hood.

I like all of the views for different reasons. Best bet would be to do some experimenting before a run Jim to find out what you like best. Mostly for me it was trial and error. I usually just mount mine on the cowl or the dash. I personally like to see the front of the Jeep and what's in front of me.
Finally a useful response. :teehee: I won't have time for any experimentation. I have to mount it somewhere and live with it for the week at KOH.

If you had one choice and one choice only, where would you mount it?

·
Im going FAST!!!
3,810 Posts
top center of your windshield tube, pointing down and forward (if you have the option of mounting it under the windshield tube that would be best...in my opinion).
Or the cowl.
We can still experiment some out there, mount it and replay the video to see if you like it

·
I'm the dude, man
6,969 Posts
Finally a useful response. :teehee: I won't have time for any experimentation. I have to mount it somewhere and live with it for the week at KOH.

If you had one choice and one choice only, where would you mount it?
I would mount it on my cowl. I would rather have a much more spread out view than have any possible restrictions from on the dash behind the windshield.

·
I'm the dude, man
6,969 Posts
top center of your windshield tube, pointing down and forward (if you have the option of mounting it under the windshield tube that would be best...in my opinion).
Or the cowl.
We can still experiment some out there, mount it and replay the video to see if you like it
I was going to suggest this as well.

I know you have a full cage, but if you run out at KOH with the top off (assuming you have a top), then I would mount it above the windshield. Your view would be great, but like trailrail said, angle it down a little. Have to have the front of your rig in the shot!

Problem with cowl, is you lose sight of the obstacle much quicker due to the hood covering it up in your approach. With having it mounted on your cage up top, you'll get a good view of everything.

I'm not a big fan of having the camera mounted that high though. When I watch the video that I have recorded, I don't particularly like how high it appears. That's why I would mount it on my cowl. Looks a little more first person.

Hope this helps.

·
Im going FAST!!!
3,810 Posts
I was going to suggest this as well.

I know you have a full cage, but if you run out at KOH with the top off (assuming you have a top), then I would mount it above the windshield. Your view would be great, but like trailrail said, angle it down a little. Have to have the front of your rig in the shot!

Problem with cowl, is you lose sight of the obstacle much quicker due to the hood covering it up in your approach. With having it mounted on your cage up top, you'll get a good view of everything.

I'm not a big fan of having the camera mounted that high though. When I watch the video that I have recorded, I don't particularly like how high it appears. That's why I would mount it on my cowl. Looks a little more first person.

Hope this helps.
I agree about the first person view, thats why I think if there's a way to mount it under the windshield tube it may help with that since it would be closer to actual eye level of the driver, and still be high enough to have good break over views etc...

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm sure I can figure out a way to mount it on the bottom side of my windshield tube. This would put it slightly higher than my rear view mirror.

·
I'm the dude, man
6,969 Posts
I would think that would be your best bet.

Mount it up and take a picture with the camera. Then check the picture and see if you like the location.

·
gas, grass, and ass
2,814 Posts
I have mine connected tobmy phone so i can see what its seeing live. They have a gopro app so depending on which one you bought you should be able to see the video feed live from your phone as well as being able to start recording and take pictures and see whats already on the camera and such from the app

1 - 20 of 58 Posts