Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
The Boss
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a few on the board but I haven't seen a thread about them.

I recently got a deer (the easy way, someone gave it to me haha.)
and want to find some different recipes to play with.

I have steaks, roasts and ground.

thanks.

·
expert jeep disassembler
8,005 Posts
i always cut backstaps into chunks instead of butterfly steaks. i marinade them in italian dressing, wrap in bacon and slow cook on the charcoal grill. i use a little bit of applewood to give it a little bit of a smoky flavor. cut it against the grain of the meat into slices. mmm mmm good:beer:

·
Your Message Here
5,856 Posts
Backstraps = steak. Cook as such.

Ground - substitute anywhere for hamburger.

·
welfare wheeler
6,989 Posts
grab a steak. cut it into small chunks. marinade in buffalo wing sauce for 48 hrs.
pan fry quickly 5 to 7 mins. buffalo bambi

·
6'-5" 209LB 16YR LEFTWING
15,745 Posts
grab a steak. cut it into small chunks. marinade in buffalo wing sauce for 48 hrs.
pan fry quickly 5 to 7 mins. buffalo bambi
:thumb:

This also works with Black Berry Brandy and Terryaki Sauce.

·
Skymaster
2,537 Posts
cut steak into small chunks, marinate for 1 hr in carribean jerk marinate. make a pan out of tin foil and pour meat and marinate into makeshift pan, then put on the grill. easy to make and perfect for a lunchtime snack

·
18,553 Posts
Hmmmmm

I always cook it on the BBQ.......but its real easy to overcook it.

Use Olive oil.....as it helps seal the moisture in....and has a good taste to it......but beware as it's very flamable.

Olive oil and GFS Canadian steak seasoning......3 minutes per side to med-rare.....anything more than that on a BBQ and you will dry it out too much

:thumb:

burger.....same thing....olive oil....steak seasoning.....be carefull and it will stay together...

roasts....cook in a slow cooker for a day or more...taters, carrots, beans...french onion/cr. of mushroom soup mixs.....whatever floats your boat.

·
Semper Fidelis
4,541 Posts
Cut into chunks any steak. Roll in flour, fry for 2-3 minutes on low heat with a little vegetable oil. Turn heat to medium high and add 2 medium onions. Cook it up adding more oil if needed. Turn to low again adding a little steak sauce, and 2 of those little cans of mushrooms. Add a little water, 1/2 cup, and using a wooden spoon loosen all the stuff cooked to the pan (deglazing). Put a tight lid on and turn it down a little more. Let simmer for 5 minutes without lifting cover. Eat with hot biscuits and a dark beer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
We purchased a book 13 years ago or so, called "The Complete Venison Cookbook From Field To Table". It was definately worth the $12.95.
It has 200 and some recipes, from slow cooker, to choice cuts, to grill, burger, soups & stews, etc.....
It was created by a couple named Jim & Ann Casada, and published by Krause. If you want to try a veriety, that'd be a good book to get your hands on. We mail ordered it, but I'm sure you could find it on line somewhere now

·
Moonlight stomper
5,958 Posts
just grill it and eat it and forget all them cover stuff mentioned above. just make it like a steak and burger use as burger like stated above, worst i do if flower or bread crumbs and butter

·
Registered
388 Posts
Marinade 1" cube chunks in olive oil, fresh thyme, fresh rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper. Let stand for 2 hours or so. Cook in pan, allowing it to stay pink on the inside. Do not overcook. Venison is extremely lean meat and will not retain moisture like beef. Many people regularly cook it all the way through, then take it off the heat. It continues to cook after you take it off the heat, so make sure it is not raw inside, but somewhat rare is fine.

If cooking a roast, 165 core temp.

·
The Boss
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks.

anyone heard of Spiedie Sauce? The g/f gets it from out of state, apparently Its pretty popular where she gets it. used for marinades and whatnot. pretty good with chicken and apparently good for venison as well. I've had some steaks soaking in some for a day now so i'm going to try that tonight.

http://www.spiedie.com/

·
18,553 Posts
Yupp

Do not overcook. Venison is extremely lean meat and will not retain moisture like beef. Many people regularly cook it all the way through, then take it off the heat. It continues to cook after you take it off the heat, so make sure it is not raw inside, but somewhat rare is fine.
That is truely the key..

You do NOT cook it like Beef :thumb:

When you cut into it and it looks like "oh....that's still rare", that's just about when to take it off.....and as it cooks more....a bit semi-rare in the center makes for the best eating.

Cook it all the way thru and you will have a tough piece o shit.....which most people assume venison just is.

I brought 4 home this year.....can't wait to start cookin'!

:woot:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts