Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Say what?!?
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's that time of year. I shot my first deer last weekend and now I have a shit ton of meat in the freezer. What's some good recipes?

·
Say what?!?
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Going to try this tomorrow, steaks are thawing in the fridge. My buddies wife cooked up a venison roast in the crock pot last weekend and it was delicious. Really miss eating venison.

·
I'll Direc your TV
8,719 Posts
I usually add a little garlic to this, and do it in cast iron :thumb:
This or marinade with garlic, herbs, olive oil and grill

My stepdad coats some filets with bacon grease and grills on each side for 2 minutes. That'll cook them to about a medium which is how I like my venison, I prefer meat cooked medium well but that is too much for venison. It gets to tough.

I also like to make venison stroganoff; just use a beef recipe and sub in vension. Taste awesome.

Venison and onions sauteed with rosemary, garlic, salt/pepper and olive oil taste great over a bed of wildrice. Even just by itself with bread and butter.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Venison stew
marinade in soy, Worcestershire ,garlic powder, onion powder, celery salt, over night then cut in to stew size and brown.
In crock pot... 1 chedder chesse soup, 2 cream of mushroom soup, (or beefy cream of mushroom) 1 can water, add meat set on low for all day.
put over egg noodles or rice ..

never have any leftover when I make it GOOD SH&T
Also do my steaks in the same marinade , DO not over cook steaks

·
Say what?!?
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steaks were delicious, I had the pan a little too hot so they charred more then I wanted but worked out in the end. Seasoning the cast iron right now, going to try it again tomorrow night!

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Crunch up ritz or saltine crackers, add dry ranch seasoning (to taste), roll steaks in egg, roll in crackers, cook in pan with oil to desired doneness. ENJOY!!

·
LS Powered
825 Posts
Crunch up ritz or saltine crackers, add dry ranch seasoning (to taste), roll steaks in egg, roll in crackers, cook in pan with oil to desired doneness. ENJOY!!

This is one of my favorite ways to make venison. On thanksgiving we'll prepare it like that, but cut it into bite size chunks and toss them into the deep fryer after the turkey is pulled out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
This is one of my favorite ways to make venison. On thanksgiving we'll prepare it like that, but cut it into bite size chunks and toss them into the deep fryer after the turkey is pulled out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would be amazing.

I love taking stew meat and wrapping in bacon and sprinkling with brown sugar and then tossing in the oven.

·
Flex Is OverRated
2,767 Posts
I make everything with venison. My girlfriend and i buy probably less than 10% of the meat we cook in a year from the store. It has gotten to the point i don't like stuff made with beef because it lacks flavor.

My favorites are enchiladas and baked spaghetti

·
Say what?!?
2,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
this looks great! How did you prepare these?
I let the meat rest for about 20 minutes after I pulled it out of the fridge. I ground fresh pepper and salt on a plate then rolled the meat in it. Threw some butter into a smoking hot pan and then put the steak in for 1 minute a side to get a good sear on each side. Then I turned the heat down and cooked each side for about a minute and a half. Put some more butter in the pan and spooned it over the steak. Removed the steak from the pan and covered it with tin foil for about 10 minutes. It was awesome!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts