Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Irish R&B Singer
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a 85 honda shadow 700......yesterday i got it out for a ride and it was ticking.....so i stopped and found it was coming from the rear cylinder on the top end.....i pulled the seats, gas tank, etc to get to the valve cover....pulled it and the valves all seem to be tight nothing loose in there.....right next to it is the timeing chain for the cam....under another cover of course and i cant get it off.....so we started it up to see if it was the valves and the looked and sounded fine but the noise sounded like it was still comeing from that maybe the timeing chain area......any thoughts on what it might be??

·
Registered
96 Posts
Either the timing chain is loose or you have a collapsed lifter, I belive there are 3 lifters per cylinder, I rebuilt the top end in one of those last year and it had 2 bad lifters.

·
Irish R&B Singer
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Either the timing chain is loose or you have a collapsed lifter, I belive there are 3 lifters per cylinder, I rebuilt the top end in one of those last year and it had 2 bad lifters.
k.....ill check that again.....it looks liek the cam rides right on the rocker and the valve rides right on the valve though......i gotta pull the motor to pull it apart farther though

·
Registered
96 Posts
i dont remeber how much but the lifter pushes on the rocker pivot it has a cam cut in one spot and there is also some small springs.

·
Irish R&B Singer
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im confued.....when i pulled the valve cover and looked in there i didn't see any of that......the cam that the timeing chain is hooked to has the rockers rideing right on it......which push directly on the valves......where are these lifters ur talkin about

·
Registered
96 Posts
the lifters are under where the cam rests there are 2 parts to the cylinder head, they push on a cam which is the rocker pivot you cant get to them without pulling the cam out of the bike.

·
Irish R&B Singer
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the lifters are under where the cam rests there are 2 parts to the cylinder head, they push on a cam which is the rocker pivot you cant get to them without pulling the cam out of the bike.
k....i guess im pulling the cam then.....either way the only way to get the head off or apart is by pulling the motor out of the bike.......damn honda frame

·
Irish R&B Singer
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i haven't even looked at the bike in weeks......i gotta get the motor in the jeep first....its now my dd.....bike will come after that.....u obviously do this for a living.....what shop do ya work for if im correct in saying u do it for a living

·
Registered
96 Posts
i do it for a living on weekends, I work a freds bikes and trikes in livonia. Im actually rebuilding a 1100 thats exactly the same thing

·
Irish R&B Singer
4,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i think i might just pull it all apart when i get the motor out and go through everything.....the guy i got it from said it was a fresh rebuild and i believed him cause all of the gaskets wer white and looked brand new

·
Registered
96 Posts
get a dealer repair manual and make sure the lifter shims are right when you do it if he didnt know about them he could have turned that cam holder upside down and dumped them on the floor and put them back in wrong. There is usually 2 per lifter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts