Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My half acre lot has quite a few nice mature trees, big reason my wife and I bought the house a few years ago. Tree trimming contractor for our local power company came through earlier this year and explained that one of out littler pine trees needed to be taken down because it was within the 20' path next to the power lines. I was fine with that, I understand trees need to be trimmed back and didnt like the tree any way.

Fast forward to Thanksgiving week. Wife and I were out of town that week and come back to find they've trimmed of our other trees. We had spent a lot of money earlier in the year to have all our trees deaded/pruned. So maybe the tips of the branches were 15' from the power lines. Well over Thanksgiving they practically cut half the tree off. The trunk of this tree is close to 2.5' in dia so this is not a small tree. I was PISSED!!! Oh and they also knocked my satellite dish and had to pay Dish to come fix that.

Go home for lunch today and they're back trimming another one of the trees, again cut half of it off. I go ask them whats going on and he tells me he can stop if I want him to and that my trees were not even on the "To Do List" :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: I immediately called the power company and put in a formal complaint. I'm supposed to hear back from a Townsend Rep within two business days.

I dont have pictures of the before, but do I have any options at this point?

·
booger eatin' moron
2,331 Posts
There's probably an easement across your property that says they can trim whatever they hell they want to trim and there's nothing you can do about it. If you're lucky they'll even clean up their mess, but don't count on it.

·
Premium Member
4,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's probably an easement across your property that says they can trim whatever they hell they want to trim and there's nothing you can do about it. If you're lucky they'll even clean up their mess, but don't count on it.
I realize that's the case but there are trees that are 10x worse than ours were.

·
Out for the Summer!
5,098 Posts
They did a bunch of trimming on one of the road I used to drive all the time. Total hack job. I understand they need to keep the branches away but you woudl think the tree cutting crew would at least know how to make it look good.

One of my goals for when I buy a house is not to have Lines running through ANY of my property. If they do, I want them under ground. It takes alot less time to fill in a hole then to grow a 300 year old tree.

·
Not Right!
1,472 Posts
The upside is you have firewood and trees grow back!

I seen a house the other day that had big pines running along the power line, they cut them back on one side of the tree and then topped them as they were about 10' away from the line.....looked like hell and I would have been pissed if it was me.

·
Catch the wave
7,994 Posts
They did a bunch of trimming on one of the road I used to drive all the time. Total hack job. I understand they need to keep the branches away but you woudl think the tree cutting crew would at least know how to make it look good.

One of my goals for when I buy a house is not to have Lines running through ANY of my property. If they do, I want them under ground. It takes alot less time to fill in a hole then to grow a 300 year old tree.
funfact: during the early days of the rural-electrification act or whatever it was called when they were basically subsidizing bringing electricity to remote areas, it was very common for very, very, very wide and expansive utility easements to be granted.

I've seen them written as obscurely as: "across the North 1/2 of the North 1/2 of Section 32 of Town xxx Range xxx" yes, that's more or less across an area described as 1/4 mile by 1 mile wide...

most of these types of easements would predate typical 40 year life of a title insurance policy. the absence of visible power lines does not mean there's an absence of an easement.

your mileage may vary, batteries not included, call your doctor if you have an erection lasting for 4 or more hours, may cause anemia, acne, bleeding from the ear canals, and/or hair loss.

·
Out for the Summer!
5,098 Posts
funfact: during the early days of the rural-electrification act or whatever it was called when they were basically subsidizing bringing electricity to remote areas, it was very common for very, very, very wide and expansive utility easements to be granted.

I've seen them written as obscurely as: "across the North 1/2 of the North 1/2 of Section 32 of Town xxx Range xxx" yes, that's more or less across an area described as 1/4 mile by 1 mile wide...

most of these types of easements would predate typical 40 year life of a title insurance policy. the absence of visible power lines does not mean there's an absence of an easement.

your mileage may vary, batteries not included, call your doctor if you have an erection lasting for 4 or more hours, may cause anemia, acne, bleeding from the ear canals, and/or hair loss.
Very Interesting. That is something that would be included info if you were buying a house though right? Or Info one could get if they wanted to find out?

This summer our company provided dumpsters for a pipeline repair project. I always wondered how they got the farmer to allow them to cut open his field and completely drain his lake. When I was driving out with the foreman I got the impression the Farmer was not all that happy with them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
any easements would be in the title of your property depending on how old the easements are and how current of a title you and vice versa.

the plat of survey you received (or atleast should have) when you bought your property will have any easements on it. depending on how your legal description reads, it will will either be a lot in a subdivision, or metes and bounds like described above by Ryebread.

if you dont have a title or a plat of survey, you can take your property tax id number (in illinois we refer to them as property index number, or P.I.N.) to the county recorder and do a search to see if any easement documents come up or see what the plat of subdivision looks like.

if there is an easement there, just be thankful you didnt have a swimming pool, shed, deck, or garage in it. i have dont surveys for people that the owners thought their crap wasnt in the easement only to have it torn down.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
we have some high voltage lines running across our place and weve had many problems over the years. the best thing is just to accept it most of the time because you probably wont be able to change it.

on time they knocked on our door and informed us that they were marking trees to cut down, i went back to check them and they were all younger trees, no big deal. 2 months later they come through cutting and take down a mature tree with a permanent tree stand bolted to the tree that was 10 feet from the "right of way" they said would be cut. several calm and angry phone calls yielded a "sorry about that" from a manager.

last time they came through they dove a bucket truck the size of an M1 tank across our stream, dad shit over that one and threatened to call the DEQ. i dont know if that is the propper authority or not but a lawyer showed up at the house the next day to discuss financial compensation for the damage done.

that was our only success normally you get a big :finger: from the power company.

·
I only wheel a boat.
17,273 Posts
Had the same issue when they came to run power to my house, 9 years later I'm over it since I have 3 acres full of the damn things.

·
Selective Hearing
502 Posts
"Tree trimming contractor for our local power company came through" quoted from XJ4LIFE

Was it Aspludh or Davey ? They are contracted from the power company . Or was it a small company , that was maybe hired to do some clean up ?

The 20ft mark is for , broken , falling , high winds . A tree can electrify the ground , from touch a power line . Or take power out for the street .

My brother is a union tree trimmer for the southern part of MI . But they dont do hack jobs . When they clear the most is in the woods , becouse getting in and out is harder . So they try to cut them for an 8 to 10 year cycle . House's down the street is more a branch or two , street by street . Unless it is a big tree that is die'ing . High winds will blow that over or snow .

It does suck when they show up to cut trees . When the home ower could have just trimmed a branch or so .

1 - 20 of 40 Posts