Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a good / strong fix for the upper rear shock mounts on a Cherokee. The upper mount surfaces on the shocks were over torqued when installed causing them to spread out. After some amount of miles they have come loose and of course the bolts are frozen up in the body. Is there a great fix procedure for this situation.

Basically the upper shock mount is the type that looks like an "H" with two bolts screwing into weld nut pockets in the body.

·
Premium Member
8,920 Posts
I just repaired exactly that on an XJ. I removed the shocks and using an air hammer punched the weld nuts up into the channel where they are welded in. After fishing the junk nuts out, I dropped a bolt with a washer on it through each of the holes where the old weld nuts were. I hammered the ears on the "dog bone" on the shock then re-installed the shocks using another washer and nylok nut on each bolt and tightened
them up.

·
Stick it up your ass
3,071 Posts
Is there a good / strong fix for the upper rear shock mounts on a Cherokee. The upper mount surfaces on the shocks were over torqued when installed causing them to spread out. After some amount of miles they have come loose and of course the bolts are frozen up in the body. Is there a great fix procedure for this situation.

Basically the upper shock mount is the type that looks like an "H" with two bolts screwing into weld nut pockets in the body.
Are you talking about the bar pins on the shock itself or the undercarriage mounts on the XJ?

If its the bar pins you can buy bar pin eliminators which will help. If its the XJ then do Ridin Dirty said.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts