Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Monkey Crawler
8,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Buddy just called and his new place has burn to the ground north of Newberry in the UP. He is under the impression that everything there is burn't to a crisp (Snowmobiles, Quads, Boat and Jetskis) from a phone call.

Has anyone seen or herd anything about this? I guess it is out of control there and they will not let anyone go out of town right now.

·
The guy Dale doesn't know
4,182 Posts
i was in that area over the 4th of july and they were fighting a big fire. it was north of pine stump junction. is it the same one?

·
(513) 891-8372
12,024 Posts
Just talked to my wife, she is 13 miles north of St. Ignace on i-75 headed south and she said they have been in heavy smoke for several miles.

Must be a bigun.

·
Registered
528 Posts
My neighbor called a friend of his that lives in Paradise. As of 6:00 or so, the fire was about 20 miles west of the upper Tahquamenon falls.

·
Yooper
833 Posts
I was listening to the DNR Fire crews on the scanner at work, they've brought in Helitankers to drop water, but it is burning so hot and fast it soesn't do any good. They been using them to dump fire retardent on as many structures as they can get to.

·
Visiting Admin
9,065 Posts
last email i recieved about the fire was this

In a message dated 8/3/2007 4:23:26 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, [email protected] writes:

DNRNEWS Great Lakes, Great Times, Great Outdoors
www.michigan.gov/dnr Michigan Department of Natural Resources
PO Box 30690 Lansing MI 48909-8190

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE CONTACT: Scott Heather
August 3, 2007 989-275-5151
Mary Dettloff
517-285-2105

Fire Danger Extreme in Michigan

A massive wildfire racing through Luce County in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula is the largest of numerous wildfires burning in the state, as drought conditions persist. The Sleeper Lake Fire, which started late yesterday, and is thought to be the result of a lightening strike, is located in a remote section of state land north of Newberry. Currently, it has burned through 5,000 acres and is spreading at a rate of over 1 mile per hour. Due to the marshy terrain where this fire is burning, Department of Natural Resources fire crews are having a difficult time gaining access. Air suppression support has been called in and a plan to try to stop the fire as it reaches
M-123, north of Newberry is being implemented. The DNR is being aided by staff from the Seney National Wildlife Refuge, United States Forest Service, local fire departments, Luce County’s Emergency Services Coordinator and local law enforcement agencies.
At noon today, Michigan State Police closed M-123 from Four Mile Corner to Tahquamenon Falls State Park to allow for fire suppression efforts to carry forward without interference from auto traffic. Smoke is also hindering visibility in the area.
Current extremely dry conditions have wildfire agencies busy suppressing fires across the state, with conditions expected to persist in most areas through the weekend. DNR fire officials say that fires are now starting due to any heat source making contact with dry grass, leaves and brush. On Thursday, a trailer dragging metal caused sparks that started three separate fires. Citizens are warned that any exhaust systems, including those in vehicles, chain saws, off road vehicles and motorcycles can spark flames, especially if they are not equipped with spark arresters.
Lynn Boyd, the DNR’s Chief of Forest, Minerals and Fore Management Division is directing everyone to be extremely cautious with any heat source until the state receives significant rainfall. “Fires are flaring up quickly in all parts of the state, and fire agencies are stretched very thin right now,� Boyd said. “Each of us must take extra precautions and do their part to prevent further wildfires.�

- 2 -

Drought-like conditions are wide spread this year, which creates additional challenges to wildfire fighters. With fires occurring in so many parts of the state at the same time, it is much more difficult to shift firefighters from one part of the state to another. In addition, fires are growing quickly due to the drought. Pine trees which normally only crown fire in the spring, are doing so at this time, giving fires momentum to advance rapidly and aggressively.
The DNR has suspended issuance of all burning permits until substantial rain is received. The DNR is also considering more drastic measures to prevent wildfire if conditions do not improve.
For more information, contact DNR Wildfire Supervisor, Scott Heather, at 989-275-5151 or Mary Dettloff, at 517-285-2105.
The DNR is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state’s natural resources for current and future generations.
# # #

"Editors and news directors, please note: DNR Public Information Officer Mary Dettloff is enroute to the incident command center in Newberry. She can be reached by cell phone at 517-285-2105 or by email on her Blackberry at [email protected] (mail to [email protected]). She is available for all media inquiries related to the Newberry wildfire."

1 - 20 of 55 Posts