Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Human Hunter
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to piggy back on Mudgrl's Michigan Destination thread but it seems she has a thing against us straight guys at the moment figured i would try not to add to the outlook..hehehehhe sooooo

anyone got a good location somwhere on the Tahquamenon river (preferably up stream from the falls a short way) where a guy could drive his heep up to the river..via orv route or fireroads and park for about 2-3 days/nights to hang out and camp..preferably without any neighbors..looking to go next weekend.. havent ever been north of the bridge atleast in my recent memory so i am in need of some directions and hints for finding the good locations..i am willing to hike it in..but we would much prefer to have the jeep and the coolers on this trip..

thanks,
Grifter

would be really cool if someone has a preplanned route with way points for the area up there..

·
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
3,815 Posts
Copy cat. :tonka: :tonka: :tonka:
I'm in the same boat but I'm looking in the Central UP. Marquette Munising area. I found the one on the cleveland cliffs water shed but it looks like they're draining it.

·
Retired double dipper
984 Posts
Too bad you don't know any helicopter pilots in the National Guard.
I've landed a helicopter in several areas along the river bank so I know there are "camping areas".
We flew in Army corps of engineers and state prisoners who cleaned the river banks about 10 years ago. However I don't think any of the landing areas even had trails to them..sorry.

·
circling the drain
35,863 Posts
I'm in the same boat but I'm looking in the Central UP. Marquette Munising area. I found the one on the cleveland cliffs water shed but it looks like they're draining it.
there are millions of areas in the marquette munising area to jeep to and then camp....what are yo u looking for specifically?

·
Human Hunter
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Too bad you don't know any helicopter pilots in the National Guard.
I've landed a helicopter in several areas along the river bank so I know there are "camping areas".
We flew in Army corps of engineers and state prisoners who cleaned the river banks about 10 years ago. However I don't think any of the landing areas even had trails to them..sorry.
does that mean your willing to borrow a helo and fly me and my gear in..if so i am all for it..

which reminds me i have a couple buddies on active duty flying for the 160th out of campbell... wonder if i could get one of them to borrow a bird for a couple hours and do me the favor. now that would be cool.

RLTW,
Grifter

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Our cabin is right there along the Widgeon Creek which is part of the Tahq river. Just get a map and check for state land. There are roads and trails all over the place but, according to the platt map book we bought, lots of it is private and some people don't like ya going through their land. We're at a dead end of a logging road 5 miles in so no one comes our way. We were up there for the entire week of the 8th and only saw a couple other people. Saw a bear, though. Still no moose even though Luce Cty is Moose Capital of MI.

·
Pickup Agent
2,094 Posts
I come back from Grand Marais sometimes via the Danaher Plains trail. It follows the T**Q**menon for a ways, upstream of the falls, when it is just a sweet little stream. Nice country. You will not see any other people for a while. Danaher Plains road leaves M77 heading east, prolly 8 miles or so north of Seney. It meets up with the river upstream of Dollarville, then follows it south.

·
Human Hunter
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I come back from Grand Marais sometimes via the Danaher Plains trail. It follows the T**Q**menon for a ways, upstream of the falls, when it is just a sweet little stream. Nice country. You will not see any other people for a while. Danaher Plains road leaves M77 heading east, prolly 8 miles or so north of Seney. It meets up with the river upstream of Dollarville, then follows it south.
appreciatte the heads up special ed..sounds like it might work for me..pm inbound regarding more info..

thanks

RLTW
Grifter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.