Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have any tricks for this? I dont have an edger, or a need to buy one other then this...I had built a little blade fixture that I clamped onto the back of my lawn mower to dig the trench, which worked somewhat. In many places, the blade lifted out of the ground, either from hitting a root or from the mower moving across a small hill or dip. If I pushed it further into the ground, the mower lost traction and started spinning the tires.

I really do not want to bury 1500 feet of wire by digging with a shovel, so any good suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
missmrgreenagain
21,341 Posts
i rented a edger from the depot for the day it was like 30bucks . i did almost 3000 feet

·
Livin the American Dream
3,826 Posts
renting would be my sugestion or 2 people with a shovel. Kinda like filleting the ground. One person uses the shovel and the other buries the cable. This is how dish installers bury cable.

·
i don't much care for you
2,397 Posts
i always have just used a flat blade shovel. you arent going very deep. it actually worked better than anything motorized. 1500 feet shouldnt take you that long.

if you want the best advice, PM Axe Lip. in fact he might be willing to rent you the shallow trencher

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My cousin used a E Z cable installer when he did his. It made quick work of a couple acres. Here's a place not to far from you that rents it.
http://www.sunbeltrentals.com/locations/locations.aspx?srch=y&type=zip&zip=48857&dst=50

damn, according to thier web site, that is only $39 for a half day, but it would be 2-3 weeks till I had the time to rent it, use it, and take it back between thier store hours and my schedule...that looks like the easiest way

wonder if I would get a discount if I wore my work uniform in there? :sonicjay:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts