Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Haggard Fab
11,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up an 06 duramax. The bed is rather beat up, the tailgate is barely holding on and the tailights are held in with tape. Considering I only paid $3k for the truck I dont really want to buy a box that is in primo shape. I have thought about building a flatbed for it, but I think thats out for now.

I just got done watching the douchel brothers on discovery, and I liked the "military style" bed they put on their duramax. I think an m416 would be cool as hell if it was big enough. Now I am looking to be inspired by other less conventional options to to put on my beater truck. This would be going on an extended cab short box.

·
Haggard Fab
11,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was someone on here giving away a steel flat bed not too long ago.
A flatbed was my original solution. Then the future wife called me a hillbilly. The drivers side tail light is taped in though, which I think is super more hillbilly than a flatbed. I want to decide which direction I'm going before I spend money on this thing.

·
gas, grass, and ass
2,814 Posts
I built a flat bed for my truck last year that I'm not using. dodge short bed, bed holes might line up but not positive.

·
Whoop Whoop
17,241 Posts
my wife and I used to sleep on a twin size mattress together when we were dating. I'd consider that unconventional since I weighed over 280# then.

You might be able to find some utility boxes on CL for them
Put a 73-87 short box on it :sonicjay:
Or you could put a small dutch barn on the back so it's covered.

bigwheelbob is parting out several chebby trucks right meow.

·
circling the drain
35,864 Posts
A flatbed was my original solution. Then the future wife called me a hillbilly. The drivers side tail light is taped in though, which I think is super more hillbilly than a flatbed. I want to decide which direction I'm going before I spend money on this thing.
she won't drink well water, won't let a man that works a non desk job and enjoys the outdoors put a flat bed on his truck.....are you sure this is future wife material?

·
Extraordinarily Ordinary
16,885 Posts
she won't drink well water, won't let a man that works a non desk job and enjoys the outdoors put a flat bed on his truck.....are you sure this is future wife material?
^this.
Does she at least let you peek at your testicals so you know they're still around?

·
Haggard Fab
11,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I has a desk. I enjoy the outdoors but Im no hillbilly. And I know there is more to a relationship than what I do with my beater truck. Its not that she cares what I do to it, its just whether I can get her in it or not.

No way did I ever think a bed from a military trailer would be the more expensive route. Back to the drawing board I guess.

·
Balls Deep
4,548 Posts
cheapest route? Buy a bed from a parts truck. If you don't want a primo condition, don't buy a nice one, buy a slightly beat up bed that is in somewhat better condition than the one you have now.

·
circling the drain
35,864 Posts
I has a desk. I enjoy the outdoors but Im no hillbilly. And I know there is more to a relationship than what I do with my beater truck. Its not that she cares what I do to it, its just whether I can get her in it or not.

No way did I ever think a bed from a military trailer would be the more expensive route. Back to the drawing board I guess.
You know I'm just giving you shit, but you're making me think she might not be "the one" from your posts :teehee:

I'd go tube flat bed, I've seen some that I think look pretty badass, especially for fire wood, dirt bike, hauling, beater that isn't a DD.

·
Haggard Fab
11,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You know I'm just giving you shit, but you're making me think she might not be "the one" from your posts :teehee:

I'd go tube flat bed, I've seen some that I think look pretty badass, especially for fire wood, dirt bike, hauling, beater that isn't a DD.
I know, and this lady and I go way way back. But the fact that she is here still blows my mind. I had to steal her away from her family in florida. You know how hard it is to take a pretty girl out of florida, and head north?

I was thinking a flat bed with diamond decking with a short side framed with toob and a couple of small boxes infront of the tires (one side for tools, one side for groceries) was the original, and still the most plausible solution. Dirty cycle/jeep hauling and duck boat launching is definitely the future of this current dd. Not having the possibility of a cap though reduces the option of bring my big woofy with. Hers can fit in the cab.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts