Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Are we there yet?
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the Ultimate Air systems? Are these refillable - if so how much on average does it cost to get them refilled?

I see JCR and KOZ distribute these (at least labeled on Ultimate-Air’s website), so I am guessing that there is some experiance with them.

Pros and cons of these types of systems? Am I better off investing in a onboard compressor?

42,948 Posts
cons? People constantly ask me if my jeep is "on the juice".

Pros? everything you can imagine. They fill up tires super quick, look nice, and you can run air tools off them. And in my book, the most important pro would be their customer service! I snapped off the valve handle (It was sitting for close to two years before I ever filled it during my jeep build) and I pm'd ultimate air on this site, and I had a new one delivered in two days. :rock:

Refills cost 6-7 bucks at Auburn Hills Welding.

·
Cadillac pimpin
3,632 Posts
They are great systems. Cheap to fill, once filled they last a long time, and basically everything CC covered. What I like about them is that you don't have to worry about routing power/ground wires for an air compressor, where to mount the tank and other plumbing, etc. Just mount the ultimate air system to your roll cage and forget about it.

I guess the only real "con" I could add would be that technically, you could run out of air when you really need it. Whereas w/ an onboard compressor based system you would essentially have an unlimited air supply.

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
Refillable at just about any welding shop. Runs an impact wrench. Airs up my wife's 4 33x10.50x15 from sand to street pressure about a dozen times on a tank, and no waiting in line.

Downside? It has to stay upright, so mounting options are more limited than a compressor.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Don't forget, you have to sacrifice in cab space for the tank. May not seem like much if you drive solo or in a pair, but with 5 people in a TJ its too much space lost.

·
Registered
388 Posts
The biggest pro that I can think of, is that it can also run a keg ...

·
Are we there yet?
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The biggest pro that I can think of, is that it can also run a keg ...
We have Co2 tanks to run corny kegs for our home brew so we have that covered. :naughty:

Thanks for all the help guys, this sounds like a great setup.

·
You call, we haul.
1,509 Posts
Our club Prez (Bult4mud) has been running a UA tank in his TJ for about a year and a half now. We've used it for everything from filling tires, to running air tools, to cooling beers. Coincidentally, the hose coil inner diameter is almsot exactly the size of a 12oz beer can, so you can coil the hose around the beer, air up your tires, air up your buddies tires, and have an ice cold brew for when you get back to the campsite.

In all seriousness, I've heard nothing but good stories about the exceptional customer service that Ultimate Air gives. I've heard little stuff from answering questions in a hurry, all the way up to personally delivering a filled bottle after a repair. Great all around company and a great guy to deal with.

·
Visiting Admin
9,065 Posts
ive been running his stuff a long time it also helps out alot at work when we have a trailor or truck tire that needs changing on the side of the road.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yeah, that's the first thing that comes to mind when I'm wheeling. :miff:
Who said anything about kegs and wheeling?

I brew my own beer and have cornelius kegs like a previous poster. I take the tank into my house and hook it up to my kegerator. Actually, my tank and regulator came from my kegerator. Don't be so quick to judge.

:brilliant

·
Are we there yet?
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I brew my own beer and have cornelius kegs like a previous poster. I take the tank into my house and hook it up to my kegerator. Actually, my tank and regulator came from my kegerator. Don't be so quick to judge.

Guess that I never thought to just use my Existing Co2 kegs that I use with my corny kegs... but I like the setup that these have to protect the valves.

·
Recovering XJ owner
5,620 Posts

:beerbang:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Guess that I never thought to just use my Existing Co2 kegs that I use with my corny kegs... but I like the setup that these have to protect the valves.
What do you mean by "to protect the valves"?

I use a regular old aluminum tank, an adjustable regulator, a t-split, two hoses with clamp on fittings for the valves stems. I just set the pressure I want and let it go. Is there a risk for damage somehow?

·
I'm not old, honest...
30,457 Posts
They work great. You can buy direct from Brian or from a variety of shops around.

I have a 10# and a 15#. Always gives me a spare.:thumb:

42,948 Posts
What do you mean by "to protect the valves"?

I use a regular old aluminum tank, an adjustable regulator, a t-split, two hoses with clamp on fittings for the valves stems. I just set the pressure I want and let it go. Is there a risk for damage somehow?
do you know what would happen if the valve was snapped off in a roll over?

·
Are we there yet?
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My thoughts exactly. They can typically take quite a bit of abuse, but not sure if it would take that much. The "carrying bar" gives it a little extra protection in this instance.

·
Registered
388 Posts
OH, THAT VALVE!

I thought the other guy meant something about the tire valve stems....

Good point. You can get keg tanks that have the cover, but neither of mine do. I guess I should think about that a little bit....

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts