Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good buddy and I just got back from a (going to be yearly) trip to his family cabin in the U.P., just north of Tahquamenon Falls. We brought the atvs for lots of riding and being that it's in the middle of nowhere, zero cell reception for me (he has a little bit). Not quite roughing it as there is a hand pump well and generator for electricity; still perfect to me.

First night was a quick trip to the Swinging Bridge at the mouth of the Two Hearted River. Friday was our long trip day as we went from the Cabin, drove to Grand Marais and visited Sable Falls. The falls was beautiful, and i've never seen that one on all my other trips to the UP for waterfalls. While in GM we got lucky and they were having a car show just starting as we got there the weather held off rain everyday and only had rain at night. Couple sprinkles during Friday but nothing terrible.

Saturday we decided to drive the trails from the Cabin to Whitefish Point. That was awesome; i've been there a couple times but never by ATV. The trails were kind of beat up, lots of wash boarding but that's to be expected. Nothing major until one "puddle" turned out to have about 3ft ruts in it, both quads got high centered, which meant we had to step out and wade through mud to get them out. Not bad, and to be expected still sucked though!. Once we got to WFPoint I decided to just take a swim in Lake Superior and wash off and gave my clothes a hobo wash. The water was not that cold surprisingly and the wind was decently warm. Trip back was pretty uneventful, we hauled ass back so we could get to Tahquamenon Brewery for dinner, excellent as always. Had Pine stump for Dinner on Friday. I can verify there is indeed Deer in the UP as well! Love going up to the cabin, just always wish I had more time when we're there.

My ATV is a 2014 Polaris Sportsman 550 Browning LE; his is a 2018 Polaris Sportsman 450HO Utility Edition. Cannot say enough good things about the FreedConn helmet intercom system. I posted about it last year, I got it because @roll bar bob raved about. It is awesome to have regular two-way communication while on the trials. The battery life is excellent, I charged it at home before I left for the UP, then once Friday night. I highly recommend that one, i'm sure there are others, but for the price and how well it works, can't beat it.

Attachments

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,327 Posts

·
Gustafson
10,704 Posts
That’s a pretty nice cabin.
I like the roof.

I keep getting nagged to go to TacoMan Falls. She spent a week there once, and I’ve never been.
You should go. You will like it there.

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like the roof.

I keep getting nagged to go to TacoMan Falls. She spent a week there once, and I’ve never been.
I've been to those falls many times, they are really awesome and most definitely worth the see! I've been lucky enough to see them in every season, obviously fall is probably the most scenic with colors; but winter can be just breathtaking.

·
I'll Direc your TV
9,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like the roof.

I've been to those falls many times, they are really awesome and most definitely worth the see! I've been lucky enough to see them in every season, obviously fall is probably the most scenic with colors; but winter can be just breathtaking.

The "cabin" is very awesome for sure. It's my good friends' wife's family property. The whole area was burned from those wildfires they had what 10/12 years ago? Luckily they had insurance and were able to build that place; it's all one big room, with those walled off bunk rooms on the left end, the right end is the "master" with a garage on the other wall from the master. Very much like the setup.

I want to try to plan time to go there in the winter, i've still got the two sleds I put up for sale a while ago and if I keep them for a while we'll use those to go riding up there this winter possibly.

It looks like a really nice little lake you're sitting on there.
Think they call it "Round Lake" but all but 6ft of it is owned by her family; so I just call it a private lake. It's small but gorgeous to look out over in the mornings and evenings.

Reactions: aber61

·
Registered
265 Posts
I thought I remembered seeing round lake on a map. I have good friends that have cabins like a mile directly south of there on 414. Love going up there! There were 40 and 80 acre parcels that were just auctioned off by there. Would loved to have bought one!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts