Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Just The Spouse's spouse
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are weigh stations just to ticket those trucks that are overweight?

I was wondering why some are open when some across the hiway are closed. Then I was thinking how they are maintained and what it would cost to maintain them. Then I thought that the fines from overweight tickets must pay for them.

Today I noticed on eb I69 between Lansing & Flint that trucks were required to pull in a rest area and there were a bunch of troopers in the lot. What was going on? (no sodomy comments are necessary) :poke:

·
81 inches of fun
14,299 Posts
Safety/DOT/Hazmat inspections probably.

Often the weigh stations are used for that too, they will randomly wave a truck around to the back after they weigh it. The last time I went through a weigh station they were waving trucks around back randomly to take a survey... people on the CB were pissed :sonicjay:

·
Countryboy
1,599 Posts
Probably safty inspections.

Yeppers state certified safety inspections. Kinda like the Coast Gaurd Boat safety inspections. They do that every where.

To answer your question about wiegh stations only used for issuing tickets. No they are not. Here in Michigan as well as many states. We have wieght restrictions on our roads. So to keep the truckers in check with that restriction we wiegh them. All commercial trucks are required to be wieghed if traveling on State or federal highways.

If your pickup truck is loaded and it is registered as a commercial truck you best be getting wieghed. If you are over wieght you will be impounded at the wieghstation. You will be ticketed. You will not be able to leave until your wieght is with in the standards for the road or highway.

·
Countryboy
1,599 Posts
Weigh stations also give the another chance for them to check the drivers logs etc. I do think it is funny how they are closed at night/weekends etc. Seems like it would create a loophole.
It does create a loop hole. All the truckers sleep during the day when the roads are full of traffic. Then they travel at night when less people are on the roads. They can make better time this way. Less hassle with police, and wiegh stations.

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
Weigh stations are becoming a thing of the past , ove weight trucks go around them .

Roaming mpsc troops are more common now . The scales were used for all the reasons listed . inspection , drivers logs blah blah .

The rest area set ups are impossible to get around , you never know when or where . In our county fines for over load are a buck a pound . It is very easy to put an extra ton of ashpalt on at a self load plant . That can cost you $2,000.00 in a heart beat .

My issue with mpsc troops , most dont know shit about a truck yet its there job to inspect them .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.