Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck likes to pull to the left or right ahen it dose I pull the steering wheel to either side until it "catches" and pulls it self streight I replaced the stearing gear box and it still dose it my ball joint's are solid I know wide tires follow cracks in a road but I cant figure out why it goes were it want's too:confused: the only thing I havent replaced is the steering stabilizer could it be that??:confused:

·
Premium Member
4,651 Posts
How is your caster angle?

Toe in??

How much offset on your wheels?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know any of that It started "pulling" bad awhile ago were it would change lanes on the highway by itself even if you had the steering wheel all the way to one side then it would hook and snap streight so I replaced the steering box there is no play in the box either

·
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
14,442 Posts
are your tires wearing down with a feathered edge to the tread bars? if so your way out of alinement.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no my tires are fine WHen I got the truck it didnt do it at all I wonder if it would be the drag link when you counter stear from a corner it seams lite it takes longer for the tires to "reply" to steering wheel input

·
14,442 Posts
I would be checking out ball joints and all the tierods and joints. if you have cheap ball joints it will allow for flex at the hub you don't want. if you have a floor jack lift the front tire about 2-3" up and then stick a pry bar under the tire while someone watches what moving behind the tire. I'd be willing to bet your missing something simple.
by the way lift the tire up by jacking on the lower part of the axle closet to the tire without touching it.

·
GeoDude
2,525 Posts
don't know if one that old has one but the idler arms go bad like every 6 months it seems like on the newer models

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe it is only 1 My question is would a bad steering stablizer cause that? or dose it do somthing completely diffrent?

·
14,442 Posts
if the steering "snaps" to one side or the other it could be caused by a worn stabilizer. it only acts as a shock to prevent adverse terrain from ripping the wheel from your hands. the biggest issue people get into is using 3 or 4 on a front end to dampen a bad steering set up. if the geometry is wrong theres no amount of stabilizers that will fix it.

if you think the stabilizer is bad remove one end and see how hard it pushes & pulls. if you can hardly budge it then its fine.

·
Uggh
5,044 Posts
i'm going to say Tre's classic wandering consistant with bad tie rod end's

·
Mr. Special Snowflake.
13,177 Posts
I believe it is only 1 My question is would a bad steering stablizer cause that? or dose it do somthing completely diffrent?
No, I don't see how a bad steering stabilizer would cause what you describe.

The steering stabilizer damps the sudden movements and vibrations

1 - 13 of 13 Posts